Noises??? is your child sensitive?

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 20th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Daisyfields's Avatar Platinum Super Mega Mommy
Cooper is VERY sensitive to noises, anything like a vacuum, or motorcycle. Because o his hearing loss, anything that is abrupt or louder than normal, he freaks out.

For the past 2 days, my LO, Teighan, has been changing our television (loves those buttons) & putting it on the "snow/white noise" channel that is so dash loud, Cooper has a fit. He starts screaming, tears are uncontrollable & he keeps crying "loud, scary, lour, scary". I feel so bad. I mean, I know T.T. isn't trying to scare Cooper but he does. Cooper is just so sensitive to this loud noise & almost has another episode/seizure.

Any of you guys have issues w/ the noises for your kids? Is this an area of concern as well?

May 20th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Tara0906's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Justin was very sensitive to people sneezing. Don't ask me why but anytime anyone sneezed when he was about 9 months old-3 years old. He would scream and cry uncontrollably. I guess it was a sensory thing.

May 20th, 2009, 07:12 AM
If you make a "moooo" sound (cow), he also cries.

May 20th, 2009, 07:12 AM
I'd rather be in Forks
Very very sensitive. He has sensory processing disorder, and noises are one of his real triggers. We just keep working with him. He's finally gotten to the point that I can use my sewing machine without him flipping out totally, and as long as his dad is here to hold him while I do it, I can use the mixer now.

Matthew also hates it if you make a mooing sound - but a cow mooing is the coolest thing ever.

May 20th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Do you know that song "Loving You"...by Minnie Ripperton? That part that she has that high pitch "scream" after the "la, la, la, la....." OMG...Cooper screams bloody murder & melts down. That has got to be the worst song for kids w/ sensory issues for hearing. Fireworks are another trigger. It's hard.

(The web-site below has the song on Amazon.com to listen too, at the bottom it says "samples" & song #5 is the one that Cooper has a fit over)

Amazon.com: The Best of Minnie Riperton: Minnie Riperton: Music

May 20th, 2009, 08:21 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Man, that sounds frustrating! Eric was terrified of the vacuum for quite a while and it made it tough, but that was nothing compared to what you guys are discussing.

As for Danny, the day he reacts to noises like that, I will probably burst into tears from the joy of it. But of course, we are at the other extreme.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 20th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
Ava screams at loud noises. She gets terrified. Even DH sneezing freaks her out. Sensory integration disorder was brought up a couple times. I figure therapy will help.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
May 20th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Tara0906's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh and when another child cried. That would totally set Justin off too. The vacum too.. thank goodness he is over that!

May 20th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Not that I am happy to hear you guys have the same issues, but it's good to know that I am not the only one who has to pretty much "watch" what we're doing so that it doesn't set Cooper off into a spiral of tears or another seizure. People truly take things for granted, like going to fireworks, can't do it. Or parades, when the fire trucks make their sirens or the police cars do that loud "chirp" w/ their cars, again, totally sets off Cooper. For people going to a parade, they have fun, don't think twice, then you have someone like our children who just melt down & then get sick & have episodes, it's almost not worth it but I feel badly b/c my other boys don't have those problems & shouldn't have to NOT be a part of those experiences. I have headphones for Cooper but he doesn't want "ANYTHING" covering his ears. Bothers him.

May 20th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Layne has issues with the vaccum STILL, and also the hair dryer. Its definitely a sensory issue. We are borderline with sensory. They are just going to keep watching things

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
May 21st, 2009, 07:29 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
LOL Kannon used to scream at mooing! We also lived on a horse ranch, and he'd be afraid of the noises from them in the middle of the night! (Sometimes, not others-weird.)

We're watching Milo. Sometimes, he's surprisingly UNreactive to noise. His hearing is ok. Other times, he overreacts to something very small. We'll see...
May 21st, 2009, 09:55 PM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
Alex hates loud speaker/pa systems, ect, and dogs barking. But any other kind of loud noise he is ok with. Mostly he is a sensory seeker so it is wierd that he would be sensitive to some noises. Sensory Integration therapy has helped alot, with all of his sensory issues.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
May 22nd, 2009, 10:07 AM
~~~Sara~~~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Carter is predispositioned be being sensitive/afraid of noises, but I try to work on it with him because I don't want him to have a meltdown every time there is a noise I can not control.

When there is a noise that makes him cry I just give him something he loves, favorite toy type thing and smile and tell him it's okay. I don't remove him immediately or turn off the noise real fast, I want him to adapt and so far it's working pretty well. He's not terribly sure about the vacuum or food processor in the kitchen, but he's getting better and the blowdryer actually makes him smile now.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search