What have you learned?

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 20th, 2009, 11:42 AM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
What have you learned with your SN child?

We have learned alot.

First we learned that statistics and percentages are just numbers and we can't focus on them. If we did, we would go crazy. I mean being told "your child has a 5% chance of making it through biospy" is enough to drive a parent mad. Then hearing "your child has a higher chance of being on of 20% who don't respond to treatment" would have driven us mad. And now "46% chance of reactivation" could drive us crazy but we choose to veiw him as just HIM and not part of this percentage. They have their place (80% chance of treatment working is pretty darn good and hopeful), but they also have their disadvantages as every child is different.

We learned that Walgreens has a Home Health Pharmacy called Home Options, and I DO NOT like them at all, well except one guy.

I learned how to draw labs from a port.

I learned that doctors do not know everything and sometimes they are wrong.

I know there is so much more, but I canoot for the life of me think of all of it.
May 20th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Tara0906's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I def. have learned a lot.
I was 17 years old when I had Justin and I knew he was not your "normal" newborn. I was 19 when I got his diagnosis. It totally changed me as a person and as a mother.

It has educated me about people and life. I have learned about my sons diagnosis and other diagnosis. About disabilities.

I too have learned that Dr.'s don't know everything. Go on your motherly instinct. You know your child best.

May 20th, 2009, 05:45 PM
kittycat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've learned things no parent should ever learn.

Plus, insurance is horrible - no matter how expensive it is. And home health supply companies will rip you off every chance they get. If your insurance let's you, do your own research and order online - then submit for reimbursement. BCBS let us, we saved tonnes. UHC will not - we're getting hosed. Also, no does not mean no with insurance companies - demand a case manager, and push-push-push. If EI isn't giving you enough therapy sessions (like weekly) through the 0-3 program, drop them like a fly and go through private insurance. Every child should be seen as often as possible, if it fits within your plan (we go weekly, and have never been part of EI since they're short staffed out here).

Another big thing we've learned - how to be a parent all over again, after having a healthy child born second. I find him more difficult to care for than my SN child.

The. End.

May 20th, 2009, 05:46 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I couldn't agree more with Tara's statement about how getting a diagnosis for your child changes YOU completely. I feel like a completely different person and mother than I was when it was just us and Eric.

I've learned more about patience, and more about pain.
I've learned not to sweat the small stuff.
I've learned a lot about how I deal with bad news and crises.
I've learned more about blood work and hospitals than I ever wanted to know.
I've learned more about hearing loss than I ever imagined existed.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 20th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
Great post! I could go on for days.

I have learned that every doctor, nurse, and therapist will have something different to say along with differing treatment plans.

I have learned that they can all be wrong.

I have learned that getting a "grim" diagnosis is not all bad, but sometimes welcome since it's an answer.

I've learned that you can never know enough, never have enough knowledge!

How to embrace every single small thing my children do, because it's all small miracles.

I've learned to love Holland.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
May 20th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've learned a new appreciation for life, love and family

I've learned that doctors, nurses, and therapist WORK FOR US.

I've learned that ultimately the decisions are ours to make.

I've learned to be patient, not just with my SN kids, but with people in general, especially those who dont understand my life

I've learned that Hospitals and Dr's offices dont have to be scary or foreign

and most of all I'm LEARNING to embrace Holland

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
May 20th, 2009, 10:00 PM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
I have learned that I as a parent know more about my children's disorders than most doctors do.
I have learned patience, though I haven't mastered that one yet.
I have learned that the more I feel I have to learn, the more I don't want to.
I have learned that doctors don't know everything.
I have learned to trust my gut feeling when it comes to my children, after all they say, "mom knows best".
If you don't like what one doc tells you, get a second opinion.
I have learned that friends and family are a very valuable asset even if they can't understand fully what you are going through.
I have learned that support meet ups are an excellent place to feel at home.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
May 21st, 2009, 12:51 AM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
today I learned how to fight with a pharmacy. It took 72 hours (yes 3 days) and 4 deliveries but we finally have all the supplies I need for lab draws.

I've learned about lab values. I can tell anyone my son's blood type, ANC, WBC, HGB, and Platelet count in any given week and actually know if those numbers are good, bad, what they mean, etc...

I've learned it takes 3 hours to do a blood transfusion and that they have to type and cross 48 hours before. heck I've learned what type and cross is.

I've learned how to get medical records and copies of CT scans without being charged.

I've learned how to get what my son needs when the doctors and nurses aren't paying attention to those needs

I've learned that for us, the histio community is a God-send, and even though each case is different, its the feeling of not being alone that is the biggest help
May 21st, 2009, 08:17 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
I have learned...
...that I am my children's greatest advocate. It is up to me to know every detail about their health. If I'm told something, I research. If I'm not told something, I research. Research is our key. I now know how to get what I want for my kids-and I know better what they need.

...how to trust myself. "Gut feeling" goes a long way in getting treatment for your child.

...that I CAN stand up for something-my kids! (I have a bad "doormat" history.) I'm a completely passive person, but apparently am something of a "mama bear." And proud of it!

...that the squeaky wheel definitely gets the grease. I KNEW that something was wrong, even if some doctor visits or tests seemed normal. And I was right-but I had to convince them that I was right. I was downright annoying, but my children are doing MUCH better.

...that no one else is in my shoes. I don't HAVE to take advice, use their doctor, parent the same way. Sure, I knew this with Kannon, but I'm sure that having to be so forceful about Milo made me finally understand that I'm really not going to please everyone.

...that I'm stronger than I thought. I've been through a lot all by myself, and then more with my kids. (This isn't a woe is me thing, and I know that SO many people are going through WAY more difficult situations, but you understand what I mean, I'm sure.) I can't believe how hard I've had to fight, how strong I've had to be, and how much *I* have had to comfort *others* when it comes to Milo. I was strong before, thought I lost it, but I think I've regained it.

There's so much more that I have learned. There's even more that I'm still learning, though!
May 22nd, 2009, 11:43 AM
stacyp's Avatar Mommy to Andrew & Luke
I have learned.....

...... that I am stronger than I thought.
...... that Holland is more beautiful than I imagined.
...... that Luke is an amazing teacher.

Thanks Yvonne (Jaidynsmum) for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search