Coping with peers

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 21st, 2009, 05:38 AM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
I know that one of the biggest worries I have is how SN kids are treated by their peers when they're school age. Christian is catching up w/ his speech, so that may not be an issue. But Ava is already getting "looks" just by hearing her breathe, seeing wires, etc... Now that I know she'll need some adaptive equipment, I can't help but wonder how she'll be treated. Kids can be mean.

Do you have these worries? What are you doing to prepare your LO for this? If your LO is school age, how are they treated and how do they handle it?

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
May 21st, 2009, 07:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think we all have these worries at least to some extent. My oldest is school age but for the most part the kids at school are very understanding of difference. But he doesnt really have outward symptoms or expressions of his SNs.

My youngest has been made fun of by older kids before when they cant understand what he says. It breaks my heart, but my oldest sticks up for him everytime. I do have the one conselation, my oldest will be in school with him and can defend him if need be

Right now we are just doing the best we can for them to keep them healthy and make things as easy as possible. When Layne gets older I'm sure we will have to talk about how kids can be, or worse yet, how adults can be, and come up with strategies to help him overcome those challenges

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
May 21st, 2009, 09:24 AM
Tara0906's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is my biggest worriment about school!
I know first hand how mean kids can be, I was one of the "mean kids". So, far NO one has treated Justin bad or made fun of him. He isn't a whole lot different from the others either...so maybe thats why. The things he does have issues with the other children have been very helpful and eager to help him. Justin is also only in 1st grade.

May 21st, 2009, 11:37 AM
Daisyfields's Avatar Platinum Super Mega Mommy
I think until they are in 2nd grade it doesn't really start. I know that kids do "stare" and they are cruel.... but if that is an issue, you have to make sure that the school is aware of it.

I do also worry about that all the time, that's why I am so not comfy letting Cooper go to the pre-k for I.E.P. plan, they're not going to help w/ so many thing & seeing how Cooper wont even listen to my DH & or my mother (his grandmother) and only me, I can forsee him going for a while.

May 21st, 2009, 07:03 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
Well, Milo will be extra-small, and may have a few pieces of equipment that he'll have to lug (or maybe not-we'll just see!), so we know that there will be comments. If he stays with the same group of kids, chances are that the teasing will die down because no one will really care after a while, but I'm nervous about it-for him, of course. We'll obviously teach him to ignore that as much as possible. We talk very openly about his brother being tall for his age and Milo being small. If we never mentioned it, it would be the elephant in the room. I'm very tall, and I was rail-thin. I was called all sorts of names. Because I was thin and not larger, EVERYONE thought it was ok to tease me. They all liked me, but I happened to be sensitive and would go home every night to try to find clothes to make me look bigger, I'd slouch, etc. My dad just sort of ignored it, which made me feel like he was ashamed that I was so gangly.

SOOO, point being, we talk about it, but don't dwell. I really hope that this teaches both of our kids that people are different-so what?
May 22nd, 2009, 09:41 PM
~~~Sara~~~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know that Carter will understand he is being teased. I doubt he will ever be in the regular population at school and everyone that deals with special needs kids are usually pretty nice.

Time will tell.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search