Developmental delay-question

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 22nd, 2009, 12:39 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
So we're all at a loss here. Milo can hold his head up when sitting, has finally learned to sit up (can't bring himself to sitting), can (with head still on the floor) get on his tiptoes and hands and try a 5-point crawl (sort of), but he CANNOT lift his head off of the floor. He can't do it from anything smaller than a 60 degree angle. I understand that his body is SOOOO tiny (preemie-newborn), and his head is larger than 97% of the kids his age (so it's the size of the average 2 year-old), but with all of the therapy, he should have made some progress in 8 months. None. Not even a little. I think that the OT thinks that we're just not doing something right when we're working with him, but we've done EVERYTHING. So has she. Even with his head size, he should be able to do something, but he can't really even lift it enough not to scrape his nose on the ground when he's face-down. He has to get all the way up on his toes and hands, top of his forehead to the ground. He's not that great, either, when we pull him to sitting. He still has significant head lag.

Has anyone else experienced this with your child? What finally "did it" for them?

We're not sooo worried yet, but getting there.
May 22nd, 2009, 12:53 PM
Tara0906's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have no advice, I am sorry.

I know when Justin wasn't making progress or what I thought he should be accomplishing (not saying Milo isn't) I went to a different therapist. They have different ideas and tricks. A fresh set of eyes is always helpful.

May 22nd, 2009, 01:11 PM
stacyp's Avatar Mommy to Andrew & Luke
True. Luke still has weak neck muscles. We were planning to keep him rear facing until 35 pounds but now it's a definite thing due to his weak muscles. We just do tons of tummy time but he also doesn't have a larger head, his is on the smaller side.

But, I agree with Tara. Maybe a new therapist?

Good luck.

Thanks Yvonne (Jaidynsmum) for my beautiful siggy!

May 22nd, 2009, 03:32 PM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
It's a hard question for me to answer. Ava can't get on hand/knees or hand/toes. She also can't bring herself to sitting. She's almost 14 mths old. She can hold her head up, though. She's macrocephalic.

I'd get him in physical therapy. Good luck hon!! ((hugs))

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
May 22nd, 2009, 04:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I totally agree with Hope, not just another therapist, but a PHYSICAL therapist. OT is designed to help with FINE motor skills, and neck and core strengths are GROSS motor skills.

Now having said that, we have had a PT since layne was about 3 months old, those skills and strengthening of those muscle was a LONG, HARD process for us. i know that patience runs thin at points. Maybe get him re-evaluated for BOTH PT and OT and see what they say, you might also find that the MRI will help with making better plans for him

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
May 22nd, 2009, 06:47 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
That was my thought as well - that sounds very much like a PT issue and not an OT issue. It is definitely a long process, but Danny - between his own motivation and working with his PT - has done incredible things and gone a long way to catching up in the past few months.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 22nd, 2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks, ladies! Milo HAS been working with a PT, too, plus aides and a coordinator. For his specific issues, they all seem to have the same solutions. They're just wondering why he can't do it. He's only seen one group of OT or PT (along with their aides), with the exception of one visit by a team with an OT and PT. No one really had anything new.

I think that we're waiting on the MRI now. You're right-it may give some explanation. Who knows what's going on in his neck? I'm hoping that they go that low-since they're looking specifically for the pituitary issues, I'm guessing they'll do the whole head and neck.

Again, I say, HOORAY FOR THE MRI! (I know, I know, it's probably not the miracle answer, but I feel like we'll at least gain something from it!)

Thank you again!
May 22nd, 2009, 09:39 PM
~~~Sara~~~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope you get some answers, I bet you are all doing everything you can for him. Good luck!

May 23rd, 2009, 01:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
jess, I never meant to infer you werent doing things correctly. I just wanted to make sure that he was seeing both therapist

And of course the MRI isnt the magical cure, but your right that it can give more insight on the whole spectrum of issues.

Also, dont forget that ALL kids hit plateaus on skills, it could be that he will just take more time to develop those specific skills. I know how frustrating that can be. But you can do it, and always remember that he's still just your baby and take time out to just "play" without the stretches and "work", I know it helped me keep my sanity, what little was left

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
May 23rd, 2009, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshowdy View Post
jess, I never meant to infer you werent doing things correctly. I just wanted to make sure that he was seeing both therapist

And of course the MRI isnt the magical cure, but your right that it can give more insight on the whole spectrum of issues.

Also, dont forget that ALL kids hit plateaus on skills, it could be that he will just take more time to develop those specific skills. I know how frustrating that can be. But you can do it, and always remember that he's still just your baby and take time out to just "play" without the stretches and "work", I know it helped me keep my sanity, what little was left
LOL I didn't think that you were implying that at all! I know that everyone is tossing in ideas-that's what I WANT and NEED!!! In a weird way, it's good to know that we're all thinking along the same lines and I'm not missing anything big!

My grandmother told me tonight that she doesn't believe for a second that I do any work, that I just play with the kids! I forget that we're working sometimes, which is really nice. With Kannon, we never had to give any effort...well, you know what I mean. With Milo, there's so much effort spent on his health and development that I can't WAIT for times when I can just hold him, tickle him, giggle for no reason with him, etc.

He's holding his head up pretty well at this point, so again, we're not too worried yet, just concerned.

Thank you again, ladies. THIS is what helps me keep my sanity...or, as Liz said, what's left of it! (And right now, I think that amount is dwindling!!!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search