EI

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 22nd, 2009, 07:01 PM
stacyp's Avatar Mommy to Andrew & Luke
I am just curious to see what EI offers in different areas. Here, they are only a bridge to PT/OT/ST. But at the Down syndrome clinic, they told me that EI brings services into the home in their area free to the family. We have Luke with therapy through the hospital. However, he only gets 20 visits of PT/OT in HIS LIFE under his diagnosis of Down syndrome. This is through my insurance. DH's insurance is worse. Sorry to get off topic....

Basically.... what does EI offer in your area?

Thanks Yvonne (Jaidynsmum) for my beautiful siggy!

May 22nd, 2009, 07:11 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
Oh, wow. That doesn't seem like much at all. I would see what else is available. Where do you live? I can ask at our place if they know of anything...they seem to have a good handle on what's available where.

We have a center that NEVER bills a family-whether you're super-rich or homeless. They run entirely on private funds and grants. They do in-home, as many as you need, totally free. They don't want anyone to have an excuse not to get therapy for their kids. It's amazing. I feel very lucky. VERY. But especially given your situation with EI. I know that ours will charge insurance (and if you don't have any, no charge), and if you go over your insurance-allowed limit, but they feel that you need more therapy, you just don't get charged. Really, I can ask someone there to see if they know of names of services, or state services. 20 for life is NOTHING!!! I'm so sorry...
May 22nd, 2009, 08:03 PM
stacyp's Avatar Mommy to Andrew & Luke
It really makes me angry. Not with EI per say but with the whole insurance/children with SN thing. He has a disability. He needs therapy but will max out through our insurance. Therapy said we could do private pay. There is no way we can afford it. I have talked to people at our Job & Family Service office about a secondary medical card/Healthy Start as a supplement to my insurance. We do not meet guidelines. Yet I have been told that with a disability the guidelines can be waived. I am planning to apply anyway & make them tell me no if that is untrue. EI was coming into our home & evaluating him but I got the ball rolling myself. I feel badly for not getting it started until last month but since we only have so few visits we need to do what we can until I can figure something out.
I only need to get him to the age of 3. Then school will provide therapy free of charge.

Sorry if I sound like I am whining.

We live in South Eastern Ohio.

Thanks Yvonne (Jaidynsmum) for my beautiful siggy!

Last edited by stacyp; May 22nd, 2009 at 08:07 PM.
May 23rd, 2009, 05:20 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Stacy, check out these 2 links:

Early Intervention Services, Payment for Services
Help Me Grow

It looks like once your insurance runs out, you can request financial aid through the state's EI program and they will provide it to you on a sliding scale based on income.

Our EI - the Missouri First Steps program - coordinates our benefits and also pays for all the therapies Danny receives. We submit our annual tax return for review, and they set a monthly payment for us based on our income; we pay the state $33/month, and they pay for PT, OT, and AVT. They also paid for his hearing aids (loaners while still evaluating, and would have bought him a pair had he not moved on to CIs), and pay for his booth hearing tests. First Steps has also helped us locate both our physical and occupational therapists, and are our advocates should we feel a therapist isn't working out. All services are provided in our home (or at daycare) except for audiology, which obviously can't be brought to our house, LOL.

I'm so sorry you're having to struggle to find the information and get Luke the support he needs! Our hospital was amazing in getting us connected with the program and making sure we got started.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 23rd, 2009, 05:47 AM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
Help me Grow is who our EI is through. They will have PT come out twice monthly for Ava, OT monthly and the main therapist monthly also. All of EI is in-home and last until 3 yrs old. But I was told since Ava is getting private therapy (hospital therapy) they can't come out more often. EI also help with getting adaptive equipment and toys appropriate for SN kids.

Have you looked into the bureah of children with medical handicaps? EI will set you up with them also.. They will help pay for what insurance refuses. Also, there re loopholes for gov't insurance for kids with medical issues. I'd ask about them!

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
May 23rd, 2009, 01:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would definately apply for state aid for him, ohio does have loopholes for kids with special needs.

I am going to go out on a limb here and hope that we arent judged for our choice, but it was the only thing that made sense for us

when Layne started getting worse and the medical bills were getting to be too much for us to handle, I quit my job and became a SAHM, it gave me more time with him and our income dropped low enough to keep the boys covered for everything. We live a different lifestyle now, and do without a lot of other things, but I never have to choose which procedures and therapies he can get and which we cant afford. just a thought about income and how it can change your situation

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search