Working moms-daycare

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 29th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Regular
Im getting ready to go back to work and am scared to death to leave my sn child addy. Planning on a home daycare lady that my son goes to and i told her all about addy and the possiblity of her having seizures in the future so she wouldnt be alarmed if it happened.

Do u guys send ur kids off to daycare?? Primarily seizure kids..... Do daycares accept them or how is it managed so if it happens i know what to expect.
May 30th, 2009, 07:43 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Danny isn't a seizure kid, so I'm not sure how much help I am...but I work and send him to a daycare center. We just went through the process of finding a new daycare, in fact. The main focus for us is how willing they are to adapt and work with us to do the best things for him. They have to not only accept him and his needs, but to embrace them. They are full partners in OT and AVT (speech/hearing) sessions, know how to handle his cochlear implants almost as well as we do. We go over safety issues and they accept any additional help or awareness he needs.

Good luck, hon!!

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 30th, 2009, 09:41 PM
kittycat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't. We looked in to it as a part-time possibility, and the rates were $15-20/hr for medically certified care (4 yrs ago). So I stay home, and we rarely hire a sitter (no family in the area).

June 2nd, 2009, 05:02 PM
Regular
How did u figure out that they were going to be so adaptive to danny just by asking?? And do the therapies come into the daycare center to work with him? I looked into a center in my town that is know for caring for special needs kids along with average kids. 190 a week and no part time kids. Well im a nurse and work 3 12 hour shifts a week and can not afford 190 a week for 5 days and only need care a few days a week so planning on taking her to the home daycare until more arises then may have to change.
June 2nd, 2009, 06:23 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
The first thing to do is to go in for a tour and meet the teachers before deciding you are going to go with that daycare. DH and I both went in at different times; that way, we met different shift teachers. We took the normal tour, and when they asked if we had any questions, we explained about Danny's special needs and what we were looking for: focus on sensory integration, participation in 2 OT and 2 AVT sessions per month by at least one of Danny's primary caregivers, application of any special focuses and exercises from therapy as relayed by therapists or one of us, and an "open door" for ourselves - we are welcome any time to observe. Everyone we spoke to at the center we decided on was very receptive, even enthusiastic.

We also asked if they had any experience with special needs kids and/or cochlear implants, and if they had ever had therapists come to the school before. The answer to all of the above was yes; in fact, when we mentioned Danny had CIs, the assistant director said she'd worked with a kid with CIs before and was moderately familiar with them.

When you're looking for childcare, it's important to think of the tours like an interview - for them. Ask any and all questions that are on your mind, and don't be afraid to ask follow up questions or request clarification. I refuse to be anything less than fully satisfied that my kids are being well taken care of ... not just my special needs kid, either! The boys have been there 2 days, and I have been very impressed with them and their participation so far. They are very actively working with Danny on his feeding issues - not pushing, but giving him plenty of opportunities to explore different kinds of food. Our teacher of the deaf visited today and she had FOUR teachers AND the school director with her for her first visit going over Danny's equipment and basic strategies for making the most of his CIs. She called me and the first thing out of her mouth was "My gosh, you have some great ladies there, don't you!!"

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
June 2nd, 2009, 10:27 PM
Regular
So happy to hear of your positive experience. Hope i can find the same.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search