head size

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 30th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
Is your LO microcephalic or macrocephalic? Do you know the circumference?

Ava is macrocephalic and off the charts. I don't know the exact number other than it's approx 50 cm or a little over.

I'm wondering (with a few of you ladies talking about cranio) if they will go the helmet route to get her fontanel to close? I know Ava has the exact opposite problem that out cranio kiddos.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
May 30th, 2009, 06:33 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I've forgotten Danny's exact circumference, but he is hovering at about 20th percentile for head size. He is at extreme risk to become microcephalic; one of the long-term risks of CMV is slow or halted brain growth. The further we get from his birth, the lower the chance goes, and so far - thank god - his head size has held its growth curve.

Eric's not SN or actually macrocephalic, but his head size has remained above 95th percentile for over 2 years now

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 30th, 2009, 08:50 PM
kittycat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kyle's headsize is fairly normal, but Ian had benign hydrocephalus. It was off the charts, huge. In uetero, it always measured 2-3wks ahead. For us, it didn't amount to more than caution so he didn't hit his head too hard, and PT for the first 6mo (torticolus, and weak neck muscles). They told us he could end up with a helmet back then, but I knew all the head positioning techniques from Kyle. So it didn't end up being an issue.

At first we were fairly scared, but we found out that my DH's cousin had a daughter with it, as did another cousin's son. The drs said it can run in the family. All the kids had the same treatment route that Ian did, except the girl was in therapy for 2 years.

May 30th, 2009, 10:37 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
Kannon's is normal for his size-large for his age, but HE is large for his age!

Milo's is large...very. RSS kids have tiny, triangular faces, but forehead bossing, so it would already look big. However, he started life somewhere slightly above 10%, now he's 97+% for age. A month and a half ago (10.5 mos) he was at 48 or 49 cm. That's giant, especially considering how slowly his body has grown and where his head percentile started.

I wish I could answer about the closing of the fontanelle. I know that RSS kids have late-closing fontanelles and large ones. They don't really do anything about it other than watch it to make sure that nothing really changes with it. I don't know if Ava's case would be the same. Milo's ped never mentioned any concern about his fontanelle closing slowly, just said to keep an eye on it, make sure it makes any progress.

Has you rped said anything about Ava wearing a helmet? Is she just macro, or is she hydrocephalic as well?
May 31st, 2009, 04:49 AM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
Ava's ped referred her to neurosurgery for her fontanel, so I guess she's concerned. I've had 4 doctors say something about it. I'm curious what neurosurgery will say.

She's macro, but doesn't have hydro.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
June 1st, 2009, 08:38 PM
Regular
my daughter is micro right now at the 3rd percentile which is common with her deletion. shes only 2 months so dont really have anything to go by yet.
June 2nd, 2009, 10:13 AM
~~~Sara~~~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Carter has microcephaly (small head) which is part of his syndrome, his head is not on the charts and at his 18 month checkup it was only 43cm

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search