IEPs

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 31st, 2009, 01:58 PM
Ma-2-Thing 1-2-n-3's Avatar Leslie ~ 2 boys ~ 1 girl
Does anyone know much about them? I am trying to get an IEP for DS, but from talking with the one in charge of IEPS at the school, it is not sounding good. She said I couldn't get an IEP based on OT only. DS had sensory intergartion disorder and I would love to get him a little more help. Just tried on the notes/calls home about his behavior and them implying he has ADD.
May 31st, 2009, 03:01 PM
*lynea*'s Avatar Super Mommy
We have had IEP's for Jay since she was in preschool, here at the headstart they do them that early. Basically I would meet with everyone that worked with her about every 6mths and go over her progress and set future goals. If I wasn't happy with something we would change things. The meetings were sometimes hard because it really broke down to how behind she really is, and yes I have cried at a few of them.
You REALLY need to say how you feel and if you are not happy with how they are working with your child it needs to be said. I learned that the hard way thinking they knew what they were doing so I just kept my mouth shut, well things started to go downhill and I had to call everyone in for a meeting and explain how I wanted things to be done and what I thought would be best for her. And that was when it was decided that she would do better being in all day special ed. instead of being in the "normal" class a few hours and then in a different class the rest of the time. Anyways good luck with it all, it can be overwhelming.

May 31st, 2009, 04:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The initial workings of an IEP usually require a referral from a doc or therapist. But it is also true that they have to be delayed in at least 2 areas for them to get services through the school. I would take him for a private eval in all therapy areas and you might find he is even slightly behind in another area, enough for them to work with him

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
May 31st, 2009, 06:47 PM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
We've have them for Christian since he was 3. They are a huge pain, with so many different people involved. They always depress me. I don't look forward to doing them for Ava.

I agree the the PP, take him to get a private eval or even ask his ped for advice. Good luck hon! It seems nobody is helping you with much as far as therapy, etc... I know you have to be frustrated! I'd keep calling and bugging them until something gets done. ((Hugs))

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
June 1st, 2009, 12:15 AM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
IN CA, if you request an eval for an IEP in writing, it must be completed with in X amount of days (30 or 45 I believe) and if any services are needed they must be provided. I had a behavioural IEP in school, DD was in the process of getting a speech IEP last year, but we decided not to pursue it. DS1 had a therapy based IEP (counseling) in K, but no longer has it.
June 1st, 2009, 09:52 PM
kittycat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our IEP was done before Kyle turned 3, as part of the 0-3 program. It's done annually (around his birthday) for school review and modification. Though he had several therapists, he had to be evaluated by the County Co-op's staff for placement in to the preschool program (we used private therapists as opposed to the county's program therapists). That process has just carried over, year by year, and he's now going in to the all-day diagnostic kindergarten program (1/2 day traditional kindergarten, 1/2 day reinforcement and therapy learning).

Kyle's process has been pretty smooth, and we always meet as a complete group. I can call an IEP review anytime after 45 days from the last reivew, if I want. Though I've only had to do that once, and it was do to regressions Kyle was having - associated with his seizures.

Ian, my younger son, is currently set-up to start Speech therapy for speech issues and feeding needs. However, we've just been told to get an OT eval done. With two therapies, the chances are greater that he'll get placement in the IEP program for preschool next year after he turns 3. But it's too early to take that step. After we have his OT Eval, and meet with the new Develomental Pediatrician, will discuss the need for an IEP Placement eval.

Last edited by kittycat; June 1st, 2009 at 09:55 PM.
June 1st, 2009, 11:44 PM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
I wanted to add that the reason we chose not to pursue the IEP now is that I am getting Mel into private speech therapy and plan to homeschool so an IEP through the school district would seriously complicate things for her. So we chose to pursue private therapy (well after DH cancelled her IEP meeting)
June 2nd, 2009, 09:05 AM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
I went through the whole process with my little girl, she has sensory issues. ANd she was denied because her issues would not affect her ability to learn, or so they say, and she wasn't really behind (just on the very low end of normal). She just turned 3 so we will have to wait and see how she does in early childhood before requesting another eval for special ed.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
June 2nd, 2009, 10:33 AM
kittycat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKatieAiden Mom View Post
I went through the whole process with my little girl, she has sensory issues. ANd she was denied because her issues would not affect her ability to learn, or so they say, and she wasn't really behind (just on the very low end of normal). She just turned 3 so we will have to wait and see how she does in early childhood before requesting another eval for special ed.
That's interesting how different states, even counties handle IEPs. In our area, if the child is DXs with sensory integration or processing disorder, they're automatically eligible for the Preschool and diagnostic education programs (assuming they're still in need). My friend's daughter is quite intelligent, but withdrawn from people/group play, and has some stimulus and other sensory issues. She's going in to the all day kindergarten/diagnostic program via IEP eval. The only reason she didn't go to preschool, is that her issues weren't really that pronounced and her parents didn't know it was an issue. As soon as they realized the problem, they went to the dr and entered therapy for a DX.

Also our 'special ed' program is for the severely disabled. They try to keep the kids with their peers as much as possible, and offer therapy and special reading/education classes in each school building, to limit having to pull them out to the special ed classes (which are actually centralized for our school district at one building). There are several kids with disabilities at our regular elementary school, including Downs, CP, various Syndromes, etc.

Last edited by kittycat; June 2nd, 2009 at 10:35 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search