Moms of older kids

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 1st, 2009, 05:32 AM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
Are you ready for Summer break? What do you do to keep them intertained?

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
June 1st, 2009, 05:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We are looking forward to sleeping in a little bit. We do the park alot and other free activities. We usually bowl (free) once a week, and go see a movie (free) once a week or so.

We also do discount days at our local museums and amusement places too

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
June 1st, 2009, 07:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
This is coming up so fast! We try to just keep busy, lots of play dates with friends, trips to the beach, playing outside, going for walks...etc.
June 1st, 2009, 07:45 AM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
My kids aren't older, by any means, but we enjoy the activities that go on around here for older kids! Kannon acts older, is bigger, so he gets to do some of the stuff. Our city has tons of festivals during the summer, too. Some are expensive, so we don't go, but we live overlooking downtown, so we get to hear the concerts, etc. The local park has free movies and hot dogs on Friday nights. And our city is home to the largest cast iron statue in the world...next weekend is its birthday! LOL For $3, you get all the burgers, cake, ice cream, drinks (Pepsi and Coca-Cola have production and distribution here, so lots of free soda over the summer), ballooon animals, etc. you can handle! The guy who owns our building is active in the city, so we'll get free tickets to the Children's Theater, invitations to all festivals, discounts for some, free into others.

Sorry...I hate the heat, so I have to get myself excited about summer! LOL
June 1st, 2009, 08:58 AM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
Tomorrow is my oldest's last day of school. I wanted to have more structured things for him to do this summer but the only thing that I found that was affordable was the Miracle League. It's a special needs baseball team, they play on a special field so children in wheel chairs and walkers can play too. That's only once a week so we will be spending alot of time at the park, which is a block away, and swimming at the kiddy pool.
I also go to alot of the free activities they do at the library and other places.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
June 1st, 2009, 01:00 PM
Daisyfields's Avatar Platinum Super Mega Mommy
HATE summer break! I don't do well in the heat due to my own disabilities & it's VERY difficult to have 2 children that need 100% constant supervision, I am 1 person & can't handle 2 in a pool by myself. We have a membership to a gym w/ a WONDERFUL pool, has a water slide, my older boys love it. I would love to spend the majority of my time there but they don't have a close potty for Cooper to go on the potty, they also don't have much shade for the smaller kiddies & then once again, I wont be able to tend to Teighan & Cooper by myself. I am certainly going to try though.

Last year I enrolled my son's in swimming classes. Then they did a camp for 2 weeks, which was big bucks, I don't think I'll do it again this year, the camp that is, it's too much money, but I don't mind the swimming classes.

Personally. I am not much of a summer gal. My mother "had" a beach front but sold her house & now although she still lives on a lake & has the boats, there is no more beach front for the babies/kids to play in. Which stinks. The kids will miss that. I know my older son will, he's had that beach front as his place of choice to play at since he was a small baby & this is the first year in 9 that he wont have that place to enjoy himself.

June 1st, 2009, 08:35 PM
kittycat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We're a member of our local Children's Museum, which is a fantastic place for kids to go and explore and play. Kyle is also enrolled in park district camp in June (3d/wk, AM), and the Special Rec co-op provides a one-on-one aide at no charge, so he can participate with the other kids (even in the pool). He also qualifies for extended school year through his IEP, so that occurs in July (5d/wk, AM). In August, he's registered for Swim lessons through the park district (aide is provided for that as well).

Ian will be relegated to the museum, playing in the backyard, and with neighbor kids. There are 6 kids on the block in his general age range, so I'm sure he'll manage to scrounge up some fun. We just put in a new playground out back, and have sprinklers and good stuff like that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search