IEP updated

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Daisyfields's Avatar Platinum Super Mega Mommy
Today we met w/ one of Cooper's therapists, she is so nice & so accommodating when it came to having my 22 month old there and myself. She said that 99% of the time, parents & smaller siblings were always there.

Long story short, I spoke w/ the person in charge of Cooper's case, Marah, and I explained my concerns & how that the reason we changed the "original" IEP plan back last school year for Cooper going into the program was b/c of several reasons (he needs to go to the potty, he wont go on his own/can't, and I don't want a stranger taking my little boy to the bathroom to have him handle his privates, I am NOT comfortable w/ that), also...Cooper's medical needs, his unexpected seizures, last one was 8/23, just got the bill in the mail for the bloodwork today actually, and also b/c Cooper doesn't know her, or trust her, and either do I, so UNTIL I trust her/the therapists, and Cooper has a medical plan in place w/ results (which we don't have), I refuse to leave him alone w/ any of them.

I haven't heard back, I do see the therapist that was reluctant to have me & my 22 mos. old present on Monday morning. I am not sure what to expect.

I will say this, today, Cooper didn't do well at the therapy session, he kept running away from the therapist, sat in the corner & said "I time out"...b/c that is what he does when he doesn't want to do something & then he'll say "I run away, NO!" yeah...he did that for the entire 60 minutes. The therapist was patient & said "we had a child that wouldn't let us near him & sat across the room from us for 6 months, give him time". I was reassured & valued her, and was thankful for her quality for her profession as well as how gentle & sweet she was to not only Cooper, but to T.T. & me.

I am hoping for a positive meeting w/ the speech therapist on Monday at 11am. I'm trying to be optimistic. My BFF who work's w/ E.I. & D.S.S./C.P.S., said "you can refuse to leave your son alone w/ the therapist, they can't make you leave, and I wouldn't let a stranger bring my child to the bathroom either" (her DD is autistic & is in E.I. as well). Hearing that from a close friend who is involved made me realize that I do have rights as a parent & as an advocate for my DS.

Sorry I've been MIA, I've been so freaking busy w/ therapy for the kids, BDay parties & events that I haven't had the chance to log on. I am sorry for that. Hope you guys understand. Just so you ladies know, my T&P's are always w/ you & your children.

September 17th, 2009, 03:40 PM
~~~Sara~~~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am glad you are figuring out how to make things work for Cooper and your family.
I am only in and out of this forum myself, life does get busy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search