Cloth diapering

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2009, 09:06 PM
MrsSarah1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi everyone. I just have a quick question.

I am currently compiling an information blog on cloth diapering and would love to write an entry (or post an entry that someone else has written) on cloth diapering a child with special needs. Has anyone in here cloth diapered their child?

If so, what hurdles did you have to overcome and what was your overall experience? Would you recommend it to other parents of children with special needs? Feel free to respond here, or send me a PM. I would love to post your response on my blog to hopefully inspire other parents of special needs children as well as give them a few hints and tips, or I can just write the entry with the information you provide.

Thank you!
October 3rd, 2009, 09:37 PM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
Many hospitals do not have cloth diapers anymore so if a parent who knows they will spend lots of time in the hospital wants to cloth diaper, find out in advance about if their local hospital has it and if not, have a hospital wet bag/bucket and arrangements to make sure the diapers get picked up daily (otherwise hospital will get pissed). Also make sure the diapers you use in the hospital are all the same brand/style/size because they need one dry one to weigh before they weigh the soiled ones (if child on output perimeters). Also make it clear at admission that your child is cloth diapered and you do not want sposies used. Be willing to teach the nurses how to cloth diaper, they may not know.

In our situation, the most frusting thing was doctors telling us to stop cloth diapering because chemo comes out in urine, however after researching we found that yes this does happen, however by washing the diapers properly they were safe to use on JOEY ONLY, and once he is off chemo, we have to replace all of them.
October 4th, 2009, 10:48 AM
MrsSarah1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by docsmomma View Post
Many hospitals do not have cloth diapers anymore so if a parent who knows they will spend lots of time in the hospital wants to cloth diaper, find out in advance about if their local hospital has it and if not, have a hospital wet bag/bucket and arrangements to make sure the diapers get picked up daily (otherwise hospital will get pissed). Also make sure the diapers you use in the hospital are all the same brand/style/size because they need one dry one to weigh before they weigh the soiled ones (if child on output perimeters). Also make it clear at admission that your child is cloth diapered and you do not want sposies used. Be willing to teach the nurses how to cloth diaper, they may not know.

In our situation, the most frusting thing was doctors telling us to stop cloth diapering because chemo comes out in urine, however after researching we found that yes this does happen, however by washing the diapers properly they were safe to use on JOEY ONLY, and once he is off chemo, we have to replace all of them.
Thank you for the tips!
October 9th, 2009, 08:37 PM
kittycat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I CDd my older son off and on from 2.5yo until he was 5yo. He still wears diapers, but it's become too difficult finding ones that fit appropriately with clothing his size (he wears a size 6 pants now, so you lose a lot of bottom room). We really loved Starbunz when he got bigger, and his school was wonderful and allowed us to CD as long as we took certain measures in to account (rice paper liner, wet bag, diapers with pocket liner, and bottom spray for wipes). I did have to have a wetbag for each diaper, but that wasn't an issue since he only went 1/2 day back then. I would just load each wetbag with everything the aide would need for a change, and a ziploc of extras.

I came in and did a quick demonstration for the school nurse, principal, teacher and both aides - just in case. They agreed for a trial, and his aide said it was actually pretty easy, and preferred the CDs with side snaps to regular pull-ups, because she didn't have to completely undress him.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search