Cooper doesn't like his PT? What's going on?

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 7th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Daisyfields's Avatar Platinum Super Mega Mommy
Cooper has been in PT, OT & Speech for his whole natural born life.. (speech started out for ASL since he is legally deaf). Now that he's in the school program w/ his E.I.P., he sees different therapists. For some reason, he doesn't like his PT, I don't know why, he runs away from her, he wont listen to her, he wont let her near him, he just runs away & screams in fear. It's so not Cooper's personality. This woman is in her late 60's, she's got to be, she reminds me of my grandmother (who in her early 70's) & she's so nice, sweet & caring. Personally, she's my favorite... but...Cooper is not into her, at all. No cooperation, nadda! Meanwhile, the other therapist (speech), he is nice too, gives her hugs & all that jazz, personally, I don't like the speech therapist, I think she's a total biznatch, if you KWIM, but he likes her & the sessions go well so I just shut my mouth. Our personalities clash but that's okay, if Cooper does well w/ her, that's all that counts.

You know how animals tend to know if someone isn't right, like someone is off, they are mean to humans or will attack b/c they know that a person isn't "right"??? I hope that was explained right. But...long story short, I am wondering if children get that same sense w/ adults. I've never seen this before w/ my kids, they are all good w/ doctors, therapists & my friends, but in the past, if an adult is not a kid person, the kids don't warm up to them & they push them away. Which is what Cooper's been doing w/ his PT, is that possible that she's not right? Or is it just something that I am reading far too into? I don't make assumptions. As I said, I am not a fan of his speech therapist, but she is nice to Cooper & Cooper likes her & their sessions go well so I don't get in the way of that. But w/ the PT, I just don't know. WDYT of this? Any takes? Any suggestions? Advice?

I feel so bad, this woman is such a sweetheart (to me anyways) but is getting no where w/ Cooper. Cooper kept screaming at her & throwing himself on the ground & crying, soooo not like him. I couldn't get him to stand up, walk or do any of the things she wanted him to do. I even tried to partake in the things to show Cooper "hey look, mommy can do it, don't be scared"... like getting on the trampoline or walking across this beam (which was directly on the floor) w/ one foot in front of the other. Teighan, who's almost 2, did well, he likes her & does all that she wants Cooper to do too. I don't get it.

October 7th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
Can you ask for another therapist? Something sounds off to me. I wish I had more advice for you. ((Hugs))

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
October 7th, 2009, 08:27 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I think if it's happening consistently, it can't hurt to request a new therapist. It could be he just doesn't want to do the PT, but it certainly could just be a bad "read" as you called it and him not liking her.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
October 7th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Daisyfields's Avatar Platinum Super Mega Mommy
When I think of all the therapists, and doctor's that Cooper's seen, it's just strange to see him unresponsive like that & angry towards someone.

She "seems" nice enough, and I feel bad. I keep apologizing to her & she says "I once had a child that wouldn't let me near him for 6 months, he sat on one end of the room & refused to allow any of the therapists near him"... so I wonder if that's the case, but as I said, he is fine w/ everyone else. KWIM?

It's just "off" for him, I am unsure if I continue or not or keep trying & wait or just ask for someone else. I don't want to make assumptions but it's not productive either.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search