One Year ago today

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 5th, 2010, 10:53 AM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
One Year ago today....

One year ago today Dr. Rubin walked into room 317 and told us it was official... Joey had Langerhan's Cell Histiocytosis. She wanted to wait until the next day to have a treatment meeting with the entire team before starting treatment. I looked at Joey and said whatever treatment he needed start it immediately. I just wanted to save my baby.

Shortly after that talk we sat in the conference room. me, Dr. Rubin and Megan (case manager) and quickly reviewed that plan. The protocol was called LCH III. It had a 80% success rate... but the 20% it did not work on was typically kids under 2 and kids with organ involvement. Joey fell into both of those categories. but I believed it would be a success.

That night our battle to heal began. Joey received his very first chemo 1 year ago today, at 8 PM.

I cried that night. I had just allowed a poison to be put in my son, a poison that gives hope to heal him but also a poison that puts him at so much risk for everything else.

My cry to God that night was simple... let this treatment work, protect him from infections, and carry him through this battle. While the treatment ultimately did not work long term, short term it did what it needed to do, it brought Joey out of the danger zone with this disease... his airway opened up more and the strain on his heart from the mass pushing on it and the arteries was relieved because the chemo shrunk the mass in his chest and throat.

God has protected him from infections, his treatment has only been delayed a few times and only once due to infection (and a relatively minor infection at that).

We have come a long way in 1 year. Today is a celebration of LIFE, for without that day 1 year ago, we would not have Joey here today.

Please continue to pray for his protection and complete healing. And today, please also pray for my entire family as they battle a bug that has everyone but me sick.
January 5th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
What a year you've had. *hugs*
Joey will be a part of my prayers and has been for a long time. That is something you never have to ask of me.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
January 5th, 2010, 01:29 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
What an amazing year...not in a good way, entirely, but amazing nonetheless how far he's come and how much you all have overcome. You and Joey are always in my prayers, and I'm thinking of you especially on this sad anniversary.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search