school district stpped in!

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2010, 08:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
So a bit of a background since we are new. Avery had congenital cataracts and nystagmus. We found them at 4 months and they were like "rocks" in her eyes so she couldn't see anything. They were surgically removed over Thanksgiving week. SHe now wears contacts, yes I put contacts in my 7 month olds eyes everyday! lol She can only see about arms length but she can xee movement and shadowing beyond that. Not sure on acuity as its so hard to find it on babies. She is cross eyed a lot and will need surgery soon for that. We are without insurance for 90 days though as dh was laid off and we lost our coverage, but his new job will have it in 3 months. We are almsot 3 weeks into that wait.

Anyways, we had her in ECIfor gross and fine motor skills delays. They are due to her vision though not low muscle tone or sensory or what have you. Well the ECI guy treated her like a sensory baby. Wanting me to put pressure on her knees for 5 seconds and such. thats fine if she was a sensory baby, but she knows where her knees are!! Then they wanted me holding her hands and trying to get her to take steps at 6 months old! umm... she's 6 months old she isn't suppose to be able to take steps yet! so I dont know what he was thinking.

Anyways the school system came out with a vision therapist and a mobility lady. They did their evaluation and were so much more helpful then ECI, who was there but sat on the floor twiddling his thumbs! lol they are going to come out every other week to do therpay on her. They told me she is her age! That she passed on her vision tests crossing midline, tracking things like that. ECI always made it seem like she is so behind. o I'm done with my ramble! lol sorry

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

March 1st, 2010, 09:04 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Wow!! What a fabulous eval!! I'm sorry you had to fight with the ECI folks first; I've had a couple say that Danny is a sensory baby and claim that "because one sense is impaired, he is automatically sensory." Ummm? That is NOT how it works. I'm glad the school system was so on top of things and helpful though! Will they be able to do continued evals on her as she continues to grow?

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
March 1st, 2010, 07:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
thats exactly it, the kid can't see well doesn't mean she doesn't know where her lehg are. Which is what he was doing, sensory input. Not the same.

and yes, they are going to come out twice a month I believe for therapy with her. Basically play time. I asked if there was anything I could do to stay on top of things and they looked around my living room, laughed and said don't buy any more toys! lol they were kiding of course but well we are Toys r Us over here! lol
anyways they come out with differnet toys and try to get her tracking and looking at noise. Right now if something makes a noise or calls her outside of her vision, she doesn't bother to look. So that something we will try to work on.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search