Evaluations?

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 24th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm waiting to hear back from the woman in charge of SN at the school DS will be going to (assuming he gets in) to talk to her about an evaluation and things like that. I know he'll need one from a doctor too though when I can get him in and I'm just not sure what to expect. With my youngest they asked if she was sitting on her own yet, trying to form words, etc. which they never did with my older two. Is that part of an evaluation or just for general progression? I don't really want to go into one without any idea of what's going to happen and end up freezing up if they say or do something that surprises me.

ETA:
She called back and could hear him over the phone. She gave me the information for the coordinator for the district so I can talk to her and possibly get him into their birth through 5 program for earlier evaluation and help. I'm waiting to hear back from her now.

Last edited by MamaAnna; March 24th, 2010 at 09:31 AM.
March 24th, 2010, 10:04 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
For all of Danny's evaluations, since he was so young, it was basically a quiz for me rather than anything to do with Danny. They asked me many common milestones for his age at the time...much like going in for a well visit with a pediatrician and getting asked what types of things he was doing. I think in some evaluations they also try to get the child to do some tasks, but that can be very tempermental based on how the child is feeling that day and how cooperative they are, you know? I'd go in prepared to answer what types of things he's doing developmentally as well as any concerns you specifically have of things you've noticed that they may not bring up.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
March 24th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks. I may take in some sort of snack food just to show them how he reacts to food since nobody ever believes me that he'll scream and run away from it. It's such an extreme reaction and to see him do it you can tell he's not goofing off or just being stubborn. I tried explaining it to the therapist at the school when I talked to her and she said they can usually convince them to try something new within the first week. She just doesn't understand he doesn't put the food in his mouth, he doesn't bite or chew, the best they'll achieve is making him not trust them when food is around.

March 24th, 2010, 11:25 AM
I think bringing some snack food is a GREAT idea. Sometimes the best way to convince them and explain to them is to show them.

March 24th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was going to type almost the same exact thing as Kel. Jonah has had quite a few evaluations, and all of them have basically been asking me TONS of questions, a lot about his birth, which were actually hard for me to remember, a lot of "When did he do this or that" questions, a lot of "how does he react to such and such" There was also a lot of observation. A lot of the things they did involved presenting him with certain things and seeing what he did with them. They presented him with social situations, different objects to manipulate, they said different things to him to see how he responds to language, they watched him interact with me and how he "talks" to me.

His speech therapist did watch him eat, so I was also going to suggest bringing some food for him so they can see. I was glad that I had a variety of snacks in my bag, different textures and things, so she could see how he does with each one.

Jonah's a lot younger, but I can't imagine it being much different than that, other than the things they present to him or the tasks they ask of him might be different.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
March 24th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks ladies. I really appreciate the help. I wish she'd call back already! The woman at the school wants to meet him, but I have to go through the others and get him accepted first.

March 24th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know the red tape can be frustrating. I hope you get the call soon

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
March 27th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I would video tape things you see too to show them

Avery is only 8 months old so our evaluations were like above, more a quiz for me then anything. it was milestone type things for below, and above where she should be. Same with the ECI eval. Things like was she sitting alone (she was 4 months old so no) kinda thing but that wasn't bad it was just getting to know where she was

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

March 29th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I really wish I could videotape it. I'm worried that we'll get there and he won't cooperate because he'll be fascinated by something and it'll make things more difficult. We don't have anything that does video though really. The best I can manage is a couple of seconds of really grainy video on my cell phone. It isn't enough to show his normal reactions or anything.

March 29th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Do you have a digital camera? A lot of those will do video - it's not the best quality, but you can get longer than you can on a cell phone.

March 29th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I do have a digital, but it's also just a few seconds of recording time. I never bought a bigger memory card since I empty it often and now it's biting me in the backside. I'll have to at least upgrade that in case I need it for down the road.

March 29th, 2010, 08:06 AM
I'd definitely pick up a bigger card when you get a chance! You can get a 2gb card for around $10, and it holds over 2 hours of video.

March 29th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh wow, they weren't that cheap when I got the camera! Who needs a camcorder when you can just get one of those?

March 29th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
lol I paid 25 for my 5 gig card and 15 for my 0 I like pictures lol

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search