Spin off... Do you tell kids?

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2010, 06:05 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Maybe it's because Danny's got equipment, but I find the majority of people who ask about Danny aren't adults - they're kids. I've noticed adults staring when we're out and about, but it's pretty rare that someone gets up the courage to come and ask us about him and his "ears." However, a lot of times we get kids that will ask us, or even Danny, the famous "what's that?"

How do you react when a child asks about your child?

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
March 25th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
They don't. I'm sure they would at least ask what he's saying from time to time, but he tends to avoid them when ever we're around other kids. He may be in the same room, but he'll stay on the opposite side or at family gatherings he'll go to another room entirely to get away from them.

March 25th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
Other kids ask questions all the time since they see Ava's cannula. I usually say she needs help to breathe.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
March 26th, 2010, 06:17 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I'm much like Hope, I keep it very simple and just tell them it helps Danny hear. It always amazes me, though, how easily kids accept stuff like that and move on. I know it will probably be different in a few years when Danny's at school, so I try and keep my optimism about kids now, LOL.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
March 26th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My nephew has started to ask me why Jonah doesn't walk or talk like his sister does (My niece and Jonah were born about two months apart) I just tell him that everyone learns at different times, and sometimes people need a little extra help learning things. (He also asks about Jonah's "School" which is what I've learned to call therapies around my nephew) The only visual things that new kids see about Jonah at this point are his casts, and we've only been out with other kids one time since he's gotten those .Some kids wanted to know how he got his "owie" LOL

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
March 26th, 2010, 02:01 PM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
When Joey was bald I was often asked "how come he's bald" and I would say something like "Oh, he decided he didn't want hair so he lost it" to real young kids. Older kids I will tell, "he takes a medicine that made his hair fall out". Now that his hair is back, i don't get questions unless someone sees his chest or if he has a mask on and I answer those based on the childs age.
March 27th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
From the outside Avery looks normal so we don't get questions often. She is crossed a lot but younger kids (under 5 ) think its funny kinda thing.

I have had my daughter ask people why they are in wheel chairs and luckily she has been greeted by great people who just tell her they need help to get around. she is good with that.Kids are simple

Docsmomma: I can see how telling younger kids "the meds made his hair fall out" would be bad. lol i can see my kid saying "I am never taking meds again!!!" lol

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search