Must Haves

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 6th, 2010, 06:27 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
What is one thing that is absolutely priceless to you as you raise your SN child?

It's not as useful now, but my Moby was a lifesaver for the first year and a half of Danny's life. He didn't walk until he was 17 months old, and he and I both hated the stroller. By 17 months though, I thought my arms were going to fall off if I had to carry him everywhere! Even once he started walking, because we couldn't rely on his hearing us when we needed him to watch out for dangers, I relied on the Moby to carry him at times to make life easier. I don't know what I would have done without it...probably go crazy.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
April 6th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
Ava's tucker sling was a must have. She couldn't lay flat for the first year, so that and her swing were our life savers.

Now that she's older, her kaye walker is a must have. She uses it daily.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
April 6th, 2010, 07:04 AM
I think right now, of all things, a bra strap holder clip is our lifesaver. We use it to keep the straps of Danny's harness from falling off his shoulders; we had a lot of problems with one or both straps falling off, and when they did they'd pull his headpieces off his head. A few times the entire harness fell off! Our PT thought of it and had a spare one she brought us and it's worked like a charm.

April 6th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
carriers, mei tais and wraps Though those were my must haves for Nichole wh is not sn lol

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

April 6th, 2010, 06:02 PM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
right now the carriers are coming in very handy - Kaiden isn't mobile yet - he sure can roll but not crawl or walk yet and he's over 20 lbs. He's getting into that separation anxiety stage where he wants to be held ALL.THE.TIME. A friend lent me her BabyHawk and I just got an Ergo off BabySteals.com - that just came in the mail Monday so I haven't tried it yet.
April 6th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was going to say our Ergo carrier, but now with Jonah's casts I can't get him in it by myself. I hate the stroller; I'm always running into things with it- even the wall! I was so embarrassed the other day we were trekking through the hospital, and I went to get out of someone's way when the wheel went wonky and I drove Jonah straight into the wall, and the guy laughed at me and made fun of me! He didn't mean to be mean about it LOL but I was embarrassed. And I hate going into crowded places with it. It's just too much. If I get a double stroller I'm really in for it because my choices are twice as wide (easier to hit things with) or twice as long (harder to steer) but I think that might be something I'll need

Right now, those socks they give to patients at the hospital that have the rubber grippers on them, are gold to us! We couldn't find them anywhere. No one sells them! I knew they had them at the hospital, so the last time we were there, I went to the pharmacy to see if I could get a couple pairs, and they said I had to be admitted to get them! I was just like "I will give you ten dollars. Give me the socks. Put the ten dollars in your pocket. We both have a great day." He still said no My mom, who is a nurse, was able to find some for us. Jonah is starting to try to walk in his casts, but they are too slippery for him to even try to stand up, so how's he supposed to learn to walk like that LOL We guard Jonah's socks with our lives

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
April 6th, 2010, 07:06 PM
if you need adult size of those socks I'd be happy to send you all ours! I've been in the hospital WAY too much and I kept every pair they gave me.
April 6th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, it is adult sizes we need. That's what makes it so difficult, is that everyone thinks we are looking for the child socks, which are EASY to find. But they don't fit over the casts. My mom was able to hook us up though, and she said she can get more. It is just frustrating because she lives three hours away, and I feel like something so simple should be easily obtained right here, know what I mean?

I only ever got one pair, when I gave birth to him, and I threw those out because when my water broke it got on them and there was meconium, so I had meconium on my sock and didn't even know it until we were leaving. yuck. We're having a homebirth this time, so won't get socks then either LOL DH said that isn't a good enough reason to go to the hospital- to get socks LOL

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
April 7th, 2010, 05:51 AM
This is terrible, but I had to laugh at your story about offering the guy 10 bucks to give you the socks. I'm glad you were finally able to get some!! Our hospital actually didn't have any of those socks, but they sound fabulous.

I didn't know you were having a home birth, that's exciting!!

Let me know how Kaiden likes the Ergo - I have heard SO many good things about it, but never was able to convince myself to pay full price for one. I wish I'd been able to get a Baby Steals one 2 years ago!!

April 7th, 2010, 01:43 PM
The ergo is okay, it took me awhile to get it properly adjusted though. I am short-trunked so I have to have the bottom belt around my hips rather than my waist or it cuts into my ribs, it's wide. ouch!! But that puts pressure on a whole different muscle group - inner thighs, lower butt area - well at least I'll get a workout!

IMO the BabyHawk is just as comfortable . . . BUT with the Ergo I don't have a knot tied behind my back which makes sitting much more comfy. I do think it's easier to unload Kaiden from the Ergo though.
April 7th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I just had to give back my ergo. I am also short torsod and wear it on my hips. lol it was the BEST carrier I have ever tried!!!! I borrowed from a girl in Avery's playgroup though, she wasn't useing it and asked me if I wanted to borrow it!! how nice of her! We had it for 3 months but then her one she was using broke and she wanted it back oh sad day! lol
No I use a buckle mei tai that I love, and ordered a Kozy carrier as well. its backordered though

and yae for homebirth!! I didn't have a home birth with Avery but I had a midewife in a free standing birthing center, and it was her home! lol It was a great birth! i don't regret it at all other then I wish I did it the first time with Nichole too

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search