Successes and Celebrations!

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 14th, 2010, 10:01 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
What's been going good lately, ladies? Any new developments with your child? Anything just generally GOOD in life? One thing I've learned over the past couple years is that it's important to celebrate everything big and small, so let's celebrate together!

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
April 14th, 2010, 01:50 PM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lots of good stuff right now . . .

I'm VERY happy with the results from using Dr. Christopher's Ear & Nerve formula . . . his balance isn't 100% yet but it is sooooooo much improved.

Got a pretty nice and FREE excersaucer off craigslist yesterday. We have a nice one and Kaiden loves it but I wanted one for outdoor use and didn't want to drag ours in and out all the time.

Bumgenius sent me repair kits for FREE to repair all Kaiden's cloth diapers, that was really nice of them!!!

Kaiden is now moving his lower jaw side to side . . . so now he's making new letter sounds - well I shouldn't say "new" just that he does it alot more frequently now. Unfortunately, it also comes with the nails-on-chalkboard sound of grinding his teeth.

Holy crap!! Today must be the day for good deals . . . I'm doing lots of right now!!!

also just today, was able to consolidate some of our debt to save a few hundred over the next year. WOOT! Was biding my time, waiting for one particular offer and it came today!

AND . . . just got off the phone with the vet's office, got them to agree to a price match on meds for one of my dogs - $65 vs the $110 they were charging!!

Last edited by greenchild; April 14th, 2010 at 02:43 PM.
April 14th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
woohoo those are great things!!! whats a repair kit for the diaperS?

Avery has been doing a lot of moving now! She is not crawling or anything like that yet, but she can almost get on her hands and knees from her belly. What I don't get is when she is in my bed, she can roll and does push ups but no where else. Maybe she is comfy there since she sleeps there?? I don't know

Also last night she slept in her crib for the first itme in her life!!!! lol ok she as a few times before but not in 5 or 6 months. and well she is only 9 months old lol
I got her to fall asleep in there by herself, but it is stil pushed up against my bed, but the rail is up. I laid with her for a while then went down stairs! Good baby!!!! lol when she woke at 11 to nurse I put her in bed with me though

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

April 14th, 2010, 04:19 PM
the repair kit is the new velcro (aplix), laundry tabs so the aplix doesn't get stuff stuck in it in the wash, & new elastic for the back and legs.
April 15th, 2010, 06:00 AM
stacyp's Avatar Mommy to Andrew & Luke
Luke is "allowing" me to put a straw in his mouth & squeeze it to give him liquids! Still not off the bottle but we're making steps. Starting ST in May.... but I'm still not happy with the fact our insurance won't cover the cost. However, Easter Seals has excellent self pay prices . He is pulling up to stand more & bearing weight so well. Will cruise a few steps sometimes & we're working on hand held walking. He is very stubborn when it comes to walking

Thanks Yvonne (Jaidynsmum) for my beautiful siggy!

April 15th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Wow ladies - I LOVE this thread! I want to respond to everyone and everything, but I think I'll just give one huge

because I don't even know where to START!

Danny's doing fabulous too - he is doing a LOT more mimicking of sounds lately and really showing an interest in using his verbalizations instead of just gestures. On his own now, if I ask him what he says, is going "mm mm" when he wants his cup of milk, AND he's got his first word: uh oh! No prompting or anything on it, if he drops something he'll look at me and say it. I cried, I'll admit it.

Otherwise, we just refinanced our mortgage so we're saving a couple hundred bucks a month now!

April 15th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
Hmmm...

Christian is graduating ST! Ava is trying to walk unassisted again. She is tolerating kinesiotape very well to prevent hyperextending her knee, which means she may not need knee-ankle-foot orthotics (Those KAFO's are huge!). She's been on only 1L at night for 2 wks!!

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
April 19th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I know I'm not here as much as I should be, but we had a great week last week and I wanted to share.

Layne finally got in for his neuropsych eval and we were really nervous about it. Little bit of background: Layne was born prematurely and we found out at 2 that he was missing brain matter and had increased brain fluid. He has a history of seizures and global developmental delays. Every developmental milestone has been a struggle and he has to work harder than he should to do simple things. He has been in PT since about 4 months old, she has taught him everything, rolling over, sitting up, crawling, walking, jumping, etc. He has a severe speech disorder that makes him, at 4 years old, virtually unintelligible and he only started attempting making sounds about a year ago. We have been told by a few docs that we trust to expect Special ed for most of his life and to prepare ourselves for the fact that normalcy could be far fetched.

Anyway, LOL, man I ramble sometimes. So the neuropsych was going to help us get a grip on his actual potential for learning, and his cognitive abilities. They did multiple days of testing with him for hours at a time. They are sending us to a behavioral therapist to help on some impulse control issues, and executive decision making. and of course they want us to continue doing all the therapy we do now BUT!!!!!!

His IQ is 1 point away for the ABOVE AVERAGE range!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cried right there in the office. They believe he should be able to start kidnergarten on time with a special ed aide but ON TIME!!!! and they said that a normal life for him at some point is an actual possibility. I cried the whole way home and called my hubby who cried with me again and then we cried some more when we got home. It was an amazing day.

Then 2 days later his PT did his regular eval that they do yearly and he scored in the normal range on ALL AREAS!! She is ready to switch us to only consultative. I was thrilled but scared. This woman has been in our lives for most of his life and has done so much to make him functional. And we have become close to her, so she let me schedule 2 monthly appointments to help us "step down" LOL. I knew you guys would understand that.

LOL, anyway, we had a great week, everything remains the same at the present time but our future is looking clearer.

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
April 19th, 2010, 02:53 PM
I'm thrilled today that Kaiden actually sat up in the shopping cart at Walmart today (strapped in) and I didn't have to hold him in place!!!!! Makes life a little easier!!!!!
April 19th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
To every single one of you!

My son is actually utilizing PECS at home semi-regularly and is semi-tolerating eating with a fork.

April 19th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MomtoAnnaLise
Anna is doing very well with her chewing. She is finally starting to move the bolus from side to side, which is a big improvement from not even using her molars a few months ago
April 19th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
this is such an uplifting thread!

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

April 20th, 2010, 04:03 AM
I couldn't agree more, I read this thread every day and just smile!

April 20th, 2010, 11:29 AM
stacyp's Avatar Mommy to Andrew & Luke
I love this thread too!

Hope, Ava doesn't have skin reactions from the kinesiotape? Last time I taped Luke, he had a reaction that lasted over a week We're only taping his abdominals now but that's where it was. Poor babe.

Kel, woo hoo on your mortgage! That's AWESOME!

Thanks Yvonne (Jaidynsmum) for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search