8 month old started flappimg her arm - autism worry

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Hi - I am a newbie to this forum, so i hope i am posting this in the correct place.

Our little girl who is now 8 months has started to flap one of her arms up and down , not violently or very fast and not just when she is excited or wanting to be picked up, its almost like she's waving, (which she may actually be trying to do)

She is consistently hitting all of the devt milestones, is a very social little girl, constantly smiling, babbling away etc, BUT My friend mentioned that this arm waving could be an early sign of autism, so its got me in a bit of a flap myself.

I've made the mistake of googling it and have seen that it can be an early symptom, but isn't 8 months too early for this ?

Would really appreciate any thoughts, especially if your LO exhibited this traits at 8 months old and has been diagnosed with Autism / AS.

Thanks in advance.
May 4th, 2010, 09:28 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
In all honestly, both of my sons did this - and neither has been diagnosed with autism/AS! At 8 months, babies are still learning how to control their bodies and figuring out what they can do to communicate. This sounds like a fairly normal stage for babies to me. Another one that gets a lot of attention is walking on toes, but it's important to remember that until around age 3, walking on toes is very typical for toddlers as they learn how to walk and run.

Hugs, hon! Google is terrible sometimes, and I know I've had my own rounds worrying about autism with both of my kids. Yes, flapping can be a sign, but only seeing one sign is not enough to raise any concerns. What you need to watch out for is if she starts showing numerous signs. When Danny's neurologist did a "quick" screen for autism at our last appointment with him (Danny's 2 year follow up), he asked about sociability, eye contact, engagement (if he always seems to be "in his own world" or if he seeks us out to interact with), and expressive communication (gestures for things he wants, that sort of thing). I think even at 2 years old, the physical signs don't really have much meaning unless they are combined with the other signs.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 4th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My 8 month old also loves to flap her arm around like crazy. Sometimes she does it to smack us, sometimes to wave to us, sometimes she does it just because. I really wouldn't worry at this point since your LO really could just be waving her arm. You know babies, once they figure out they can do something they never want to stop.

Step away from Google! Oh, and tape your friend's mouth shut. Geez.

May 4th, 2010, 09:33 AM
thanks ladies - thats reassuring to know.

As mums we do worry - don"t we !!!!
May 4th, 2010, 02:27 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Non-stop!

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 4th, 2010, 02:47 PM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kaiden flaps his arms alot - more like banging his hands but often there isn't anything to hit, so yeah, flapping. He's 15 mo and doesn't have the greatest body control, developmentally, he's pretty much in the 6 - 9 month stage. But he doesn't show any other signs of autism (and I'm watching, believe me!! it can happen to a child with DS) so I'm not counting the arm thing as part of that.
May 5th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
while it could always be possible that it is a sign, in reality its most likely a baby that is waving their arms. iwouldn't put to much stress in it. Clapping is milestone as well, i think 9 months but not sure. Anyways Avery has been doing that since 6 months BUT she doesn't just clap to be happy, she claps when mad, or irritated, or bored! lol She just does it, because babies are silly lol

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

May 5th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There have actually been studies that show that arm/hand flapping in infancy is not a good indicator of a later diagnosis of autism. It is an indicator for older children, 3+ years, but infants tend to do it just because they are infants. It feels funny to them, and they are experimenting with what they can do with their limbs etc.

I wouldn't worry about the arm flapping. Not to mention, most "symptoms" or signs that are said to be detectable in infancy are usually retrospective and not used to actually diagnose a baby.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search