Anyone's child extremely pigeon toed?

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2010, 01:24 PM
morebluethanpink
I hope i'm posting this in the right forum. My 15 month old son has feet that are so crooked they often almost face eachother. They also turn DARK purple/sometime black . He doesn't walk yet; he can walk holding on to furniture, and he is starting to walk on his own, but he acutally prefers to walk sideways (like sidestepping) if he does, and it's slowgoing. I am starting to think his crooked feet may be the reason he's not walking. I know, that sounds stupid, but he was a preemie and a footling breech, and several of his other milestones were quite delayed as well, so I just thought maybe it was attributed to that. He's going to the doctor on monday for this, so well see what they say but if anyone else has had this happen it would be nice to hear from you.

I am wondering, has anyone had a child with severely turned feet? What ended up happening?
May 5th, 2010, 05:36 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Danny's feet aren't turned, but he's got a pretty solid case of collapsing arches/flat feet. He didn't take any independent steps until 16 months, and didn't really walk around past that for another month. I would definitely think that it could be his feet holding him back in this case! It takes so much more effort to walk when your feet aren't in proper alignment; even once Danny started walking, he had very little stamina for it because he had to work so hard at it! We got orthotics for him and they've made a huge difference for how "easy" it is for him to walk; he's really taken off since we got them.

Good luck with your appointment Monday, and welcome to the board!

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 5th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I don't know anythig baout this but I hope you get some answers soon

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

May 5th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My DS has flat feet and is a bit pigeon toed. He didn't start walking until after he was a year old and it took a lot longer for him to start running. Even now when he runs it's in more of a zigzag like he can't really go straight. His pediatrician referred us to a pediatric podiatrist to have his feet checked out further. That's this Friday.

May 5th, 2010, 09:54 AM
morebluethanpink
Thanks quietsong for the welcome. When you say you got orthotics for your son, what do you mean by that? (sorry if i sound stupid )

nvr.4.gtn, thank you i hope so too.

mamanna, good luck with your apt on friday, let me know what they say.
May 5th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hi!

The medical term for pigeon toed is Metatarsus adductus, and it actually doesn't hurt to Google this one A lot of times what we find on the internet is scary, but you'll get a lot of good information on what your options are.

My son was diagnosed with severe metatarsus adductus as well as tight heel chords. The tight heel chords basically meant the muscles in his ankles were too short to allow his feet to go flat, so he always had pointed toes.

His regular pediatrician referred us to the pediatric orthopaedic surgeon. He looked at the way Jonah's feet, ankles, hips, and spine were positioned. The exam itself was a little intimidating. They decided that castings would be the best treatment. Basically, they put Jonah's feet into casts that forced them into the correct position. It was/is a slow process because we had to slowly move the feet into the right position. So the first week, the casts only corrected the turning slightly, then the next week we had them recasted to turn out a little more, then a little more etc. Now Jonah is in bi-valved castings, which means that his casts are cut in half, and I can take them off for bathing and other activities, but put them back on with ace bandages. It's the most important to have them on when he's sleeping because that is when bones grow the most.

This is the BEST BEST BEST thing we could have done for our son. It was hard at first, and it was heartbreaking to have to hold him down every time they cut the casts off and put new ones on. But, it is SO worth it. Jonah was past the 18 month mark and not walking more than three steps at a time. Within two weeks of having the casts, he started walking more. He walked while wearing the casts! AND he started TALKING! His cognitive skills went from about a nine month level to beyond the eighteen month level. It was SO amazing. Now, after just a little more than a month of the casts, he is not only walking but running.

Definitely bring it up to your son's pediatrician. I wish I had pushed for the castings earlier, but she kept wanting to wait and see if he grew out of it. I think we waited too long. They will cast kids of all ages. I have met children in the office with castings on their legs from just a couple months old to eight years old. I think if it's as severe as you are describing, the sooner the better.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
May 5th, 2010, 01:20 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
You don't sound stupid at all! I have learned so much in the past couple years with Danny that I never would have known until he needed it. Orthotics are basically anything that helps with foot alignment - shoe inserts, braces, castings, etc.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search