Cooper's IEP is a mess.

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Daisyfields's Avatar Platinum Super Mega Mommy
For those that know me, I had major surgery in November, it's been a LONG recovery. In September of last year, we started PT/OT & Speech, I got sick in September, October was misdiagnosed & b/c of the grace of God, I was properly diagnosed in November & had the surgery in November. To this day, I still fall, forget everything, it's been more than I would have expected. My doctors wrote letters to the SN program about the svcs needing to be changed to my house (home visits) until I was able to drive etc. I've called, left v/mails, emails, nothing. No one has responded & I am still due for another surgery.

So this is where I get annoyed. I've called & called & then I get a letter from SN program, giving me a date & time to re-evaluate Cooper's plan. Let's see...since Sept., he's seen the PT "maybe" 5x's, his speech therapist once & NEVER met his OT. October I got sick & well the rest is history.

I finally get a response from someone at the school & I said "how are they suppose to evaluate Cooper's progress if they haven't seen him since September? And how are they suppose to know what he's capable of when they've never met him? The person agreed & I said that the meeting was impossible due to my medical issues. I offered phone conference call w/ my DH, I've offered Skype from my home (I know they have Skype), and I've offered them to come to my home. In the letter of "demand" for IEP eval., it states they are suppose to accommodate the child regardless of the situation. I saw Cooper's pediatrician yesterday & he said that it's common for the SN' dept. to put off seeing the kids in situations like this so they can avoid services & not have to get the money out. He told me to call daily if I needed too & to explain that I've given 3 separate options of communication/meeting. He said it was the "law". I dunno.

The thing that I am unsure of how all will fall into place is that they cannot evaluate or see where my son is if they've a) never met him or b) haven't seen him since September & only for a few times or only once.

I feel annoyed that I received NO call backs, or any communication & then BAM, I get a letter in the mail telling me when I am going to have to meet w/ them? What? I mean...seriously? You avoid me for 4+ months & then decide to tell me when & where things are going to unfold? Sorry but again, they are out of their trees.

I know this is more of a vent but I am super irritated about the process & to hear a doctor tell me that this isn't uncommon b/c the state doesn't want to pay for the services even if the child is eligible. Things were so much easier when the services were at my home, never had an issue, Cooper had everything in place. But now it's a mess. I feel overwhelmed.

May 10th, 2010, 06:33 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Ugh! You are so right, it's a mess. Your pediatrician is correct that it is the LAW that they accommodate you and get this done right. You've given them plenty of options; now you need to press them to accept one. If you don't feel anyone can properly evaluate for an IEP meeting, demand new evaluations before the meeting, at your house.

Ugh! I am so frustrated and angry for you.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 10th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
wow what a mess. I would be frustrated too. I hope something turns around soon

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

May 10th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Daisyfields's Avatar Platinum Super Mega Mommy
Personally I am not a "fan" of their school district. I've had issues w/ "bullying" & have been "addressing" it not only in person but also bringing in my DH to have a conference, I've done the letter thing, documents EVERY single bullying incident & today, NOTHING has been done to fix the fact that there are kids bullying my 9 almost 10 year old, and he started when he was 5 & was being bullied the first month of school. I feel like my letters, my phone calls, my meetings are a waste of time. I contacted the superintendent of the school & not only did he not respond to my v/mail, letter & call, but he re-directed the "issues" back to the existing principal that did & has done nothing. This is the same school district that I am dealing w/ for Cooper & I feel like I am beating a dead horse. I feel that they've done nothing for any of my kids.

When I had services at my house for Cooper, he was seen 3x's if not more a week, never missed sessions & all was well, he had progress. Now that they switched it to the school, he's had nothing & it's not something that is helping my son. I wish they'd respond or at least make a determination on what they want to see happen. I've made the calls & then I called again last Friday & got someone & she said "I sent them the papers that you gave me but I can't find them & I don't know what's going on". Then I said "can you find out what we're suppose to do? and let them know what I am willing to do to have a meeting?" she said "yes, she'd get back to me & had to abruptly let me go. Again, I am being pushed off for another week. I guarantee that no one will call me back and then they'll be angry that I don't show up for meeting that I have given AMPLE warning in which I would NOT be attending & why.

I feel like this whole process is a joke, and I don't know how to handle it. I know my legal rights & what I am suppose to do as my son's legal advocate but it seems like they don't care about that & they will continue to post-pone contact w/ me b/c Summer vaca is in less than a month, and come the end of school in June, they will push things off until Fall/Sept & then again, try to evaluate him on the same stuff they have NO idea about b/c they haven't seen him. Again, when he was having his services at the house, we did sessions through out the ENTIRE year, and weekly. Sure there were times that EI closed for a holiday or something along those lines, but it was rare.

Cooper isn't getting what he needs & it's obvious to me. He is far behind & although he's made progress, it's not where he needs to be & I am 100% confident it's b/c of the lack of services that he's NOT received.

I'm annoyed that on top of my personal life, and me being medically ill, I have to fight for Cooper's services, this is not okay. I just want them to RESPOND & ACKNOWLEDGE or something. It's not like I've ignored them, if anything just the opposite. Then I get a letter in the mail telling ME when & where I'm to meet? Who do they think they are? They wont return a phone call, an email, but they'll send me a letter w/ a mandatory meeting? What is that? I mean seriously, what are they thinking?

Just to add... Cooper's PT's DH passed away & she's been in Hawaii since, his speech therapist wont talk to me or take my calls. The SN' department leader wont respond or take my calls. Then his OT (whom he's never met), I have no idea how to get in touch w/ her. I called everyone & get no responses. How is this even productive? Don't they want to see Cooper so they get paid from the state? I would think that's their motive in seeing him, right? I don't know b/c I've never had to go through this before.

May 10th, 2010, 12:28 PM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am so sorry. I wish I had some suggestions but you're doing everything right . . . they are a bunch of idiots for what they are (or should I say are not) doing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search