how do you teach

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 10th, 2010, 12:21 PM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
motivation???

Sure, Kaiden will play with toys, if they are directly in his reach or just out of reach, will roll to or reach for them. But further away than that, he's content to just look at them. I know he can see, we've had his vision tested (perfect), he will seek me out from across the room and make eye contact . . .

he just has zero motivation. At 15.5 mo:

** he does not self feed. He will grab my hand (holding the spoon), or sometimes even grab the spoon or the bowl, but does not try to grab the food and bring it to his mouth. He can take the spoon from me and shove it in his mouth, but that's as far as self feeding has ever gone. He sees the sippy cup and turns his head toward it and opens his mouth . . . but never tries to grab it when put directly in his path and bring it to his own mouth. again, he'll help, put his hand on my hand that's holding it, maybe grab the handles, but never tries to bring it to his mouth by himself. once, maybe, but that was months ago.

** he does not crawl or walk. He HATES the 4 point position. He stands with assistance, but shows zero motivation to go anywhere. Does not pull to stand or cruise furniture . . . just happy to lay there and kick and roll, or sit there if put into a sitting position.

I am so frustrated with this. All of the books on DS that we have, all the sites I've seen online, say to use a favorite toy/food/activity to motivate. If he ever showed so much as an inkling of actually wanting something I think I could use it to motivate him. But he's so content to just look and not touch.

any suggestions???

Last edited by greenchild; May 10th, 2010 at 12:24 PM.
May 11th, 2010, 06:16 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I wish I could help you - motivation is our biggest battle as well! Over the past couple years Danny has finally started to show some from time to time, but he's still extremely laid back and doesn't really find it worth it to put in the effort a lot of the time. Toys never really "did it" for Danny; he just didn't care that much about them. The only thing that ever really got him engaged was things that spun, and even then it took a long time before they were worth it. Do in tiny steps; give him something, and if he shoes he likes it, make him reach just a little ... then a little more ... we literally had to go half-inches at a time to coax anything out of him.

We are still fighting the motivation battle with speech as well. He has proven he CAN do a lot of things, if he just cares to, both physical and language. We still can't get him to say more than "mm" for milk after working and working and working it, and yet the other day he picked up saying "E I E I O" for Old MacDonald after one time through.

So basically, what I'm getting at I guess is that I have no idea. But you aren't alone, LOL.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 13th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I wish I could help too, but to me it seems you are doing everything you can to motivate him and now you jsut have to wait for him

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

May 30th, 2010, 05:59 AM
stacyp's Avatar Mommy to Andrew & Luke
Luke is 2 & still doesn't walk or self feed. But we're trying to get over the feeding hump. Luke is "projected" to walk around 3.... & that is a very good possibility.

As far as the quadruped (4 point) what worked for us was putting him in it & rocking him on the floor (giving him bum a little push to make a rocking motion) & we would sing the ABC's. Soon, we would sing the song & he would get into the position & rock which increases strength. TO initiate crawling, I would crawl with him (he would be under me so his back was under my tummy) & he would crawl all over the house. Then BOOM! One day he took off. Luke has been "crawling in 4 point" for about 2 months.... he just turned 2 Friday.

He sounds just like Luke. I called him my easy going baby. Content with watching. But now..... into EVERYTHING ANd, I am not complaining. Feeding has been our major issue. He is still on the bottle to supplement nutrition.

Good luck.

Thanks Yvonne (Jaidynsmum) for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search