I think my daughter has autism??

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 11th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Dacontay4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies. I was active on this board a while back but I haven't been around lately, too busy! My daughter Grier is 26 months old, and has several medical needs. My husband thinks she's behind developmentally becauase she's spent a quarter of her life so far in the hospital for various tests and surgeries and infections. He says give her time and she'll catch up. But I don't think Grie is just "behind." Her behaviors go beyond that. She's 26 months old and she doesn't talk, at all. She used to talk a little...she had maybe 5 words that I've heard her use but she hasn't said any of them in months. When she wants something she hits me and screams louder and louder until I figure out what it is she wants. That child can pull a 2 hour fit, and does it several times a week at the drop of a hat. Socially...she just doesn't seem to know how to play. She's SOOOOO rough, she likes to jump on the other kids and she's constantly hitting them, throwing things at them, or biting them. She doesn't play, she destroys. She goes from one thing to the next destroying it. She loves textures and feels, because she's lacking a large intestine Grier's poop is liquid. For a long time we had to deal with her ripping off her diaper at every chance she got and spread poop. She got a bad infection so we had to go back to the ileostomy and it hasn't been a problem since, but she still loves slimy stuff. She loves getting into the soap in the bathroom and spreading that all over herself and the walls and floor, she likes playing with pudding or shaving gell or anything slimy. She can't stand clothes. At night she sleeps naked on the floor...if she allows a blanket it's no heavier then a sheet, and I just make sure to keep the heat up because there is no way I can keep her off the floor. And before she sleeps she runs around until she's too tired to do it anymore, then she passes out wherever she is. I had to move her sister out of her room b/c she kept her up all night...she can run around for hours before she passes out...and she still wakes up between 3-5 every morning. SHe takes her clothes off at every chance she gets. She won't wear tight clothes, she freaks out. And she's SOOOOOO freaking hyper. She runs around for hours at a time, she jumps off of things, she hits her head into solid objects over and over again, she knocks things over, she drives me INSANE. I know a lot of this is normal two year old stuff but with her it goes beyond the norm. She does have SID but some of her behaviors go beyond SID. When she was diagnosed they told us she is NOT autistic, but I disagree. I want to take her in to get her tested again but my husband doesn't want me to. I don't know how he can not see anything wrong with her, but he doesn't spend even close to the amount of time with her that I do. Even her PGI notices autism like behaviors, and the only other thing I can think of is a side effect from her combination of meds. Any children with autism here?
Mason Charles (1/3/05) and Kaydence Faith (4/30/10)

Check out my blog at
http://davealy.blogspot.com

Last edited by Dacontay4; May 11th, 2010 at 08:06 AM.
May 11th, 2010, 08:35 AM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome!! I'm not sure about autism on this board, I think mostly Mamas with autistic kids are on the Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders - JustMommies Message Boards, but you are welcome to post here!! I think we're kinda broad spectrum here My little guy has Down Syndrome & benign myoclonic seizures but no other health issues.
May 11th, 2010, 03:17 PM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My son has autism and you are describing a lot of autistic traits. I would definitely recommend having her tested. In the meantime I would strongly recommend you trying her on a gluten free/casein free diet. It sounds to me like it would benefit her behavior. If it's possible of course. It may not be with her other issues. But studies have shown that autistim can be controlled some through diet because of gastro intestinal issues. So if your daughter has issues like this is could be worsening her autism symptoms. Gluten is wheat protein so maybe try rice products for a week or 2 and see if you see any changes in her behaviors. Casein is milk protein so try to avoid white cheese (orange cheddar is fine) and try switching her to soy milk (or almond milk or rice milk, which ever she likes best). I don't know if this is possible or not with her other tummy issues but if it is it may be worth it. A gluten free/ casein free diet has been shown to help many people not just autistic people.

As for autism and how to help I am an open book. I have done many training sessions and I have taken my son from a completely non-verbal state to one where he is in the norm for speech and is craving social play. He still has a ways to go but has made amazing improvements. But I don't like to push myself onto people. So if you'd like some tips and tricks to try or if you need someone to talk to please feel free to PM me at any time. I would love to help in any way if I can.

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
May 11th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the info! I'm definately interested in getting ALLLL the help I can get. As far as the GFCF diet, she's already on it. She's got a SEVERE casein allergy and I've got celiacs disease so she's on it for those reasons. She's also 100% tube fed, and primarily on a special formula diet. My little sister works for WEAP (Wisconsin Early Autism Project) and she agrees that Grier seems to have autism. The problem I have is getting my husband to agree that she's not just delayed because of her medical issues; because she's a twin...and her twin is really advanced for her age. I think I will check out the developmental delays board too. Weather or not she has autism, she has some pretty significant issues.

Check out my blog at

May 11th, 2010, 04:32 PM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There are some good online quizzes for parents to help guide you. Maybe have your hubby fill one out and maybe then he'll realize that testing is needed? So wonderful that you have a support in your family. It sounds like you are a great mommy and are going to do everything you can for her.

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
May 12th, 2010, 07:06 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I was going to suggest some of the online quizes too - here's one:
Autism Screening Quiz

I'm glad that you are finally getting some ideas and help toward figuring everything out; as much as a diagnosis can suck, it definitely helps too. Good luck, and please keep us posted on how things are going with Grier!

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 17th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It sounds like you should very well may have Autism. I would take her for a evaluation even if your dh does not want you to. If I listened to my husband I would have never taken Jay. He is probaly in denial which is pretty common for fathers.
May 18th, 2010, 08:00 PM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
Your daughter sounds alot like my son when he was that age (minus the medical issues, my son has always been pretty healthy). It's kind of weird because my son is receiving ABA therapy through WEAP right now.
PM me if you need more resources in this area.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG

Last edited by AlexKatieAiden Mommy; May 19th, 2010 at 01:58 PM.
May 18th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks for all the advice ladies. Update: my 4 year old spent the weekend in the hospital, and I stayed with her, so my husband spent the weekend as a single dad to my other kiddos and got to spend a lot of time witnessing Grier's potential, and he didn't even deal with close to her FULL potential. He's agreed to get her tested.

I called Wisconsin First Step and I can get Grier services through the Birth to three program. Today she had a doctors appointment, and I did get him to give me a referal, she has a neurologist appointment next week. I don't want her to have autism...obviously...but it really seems like she does. I just want an answer.

Check out my blog at

May 19th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yay I am so happy to hear your Pediatrcin gave a refferal. Of course you do not want her to have Autism no one does. Its good to get the dx if she does though so she can get the help she needs. Let us know how the appt goes.
May 19th, 2010, 06:55 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
That's great that your husband agreed to get her tested, and that you got your referral. An answer, even if it's one you don't particularly WANT, can go a long way to helping and making things better!

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search