Pitty party

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2011, 12:00 PM
breea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im having a really bad day today. I got a call from my daughters special preschool about her OT and PT IEP. She is so below the curve she should still be a baby. I am so upset by this. I try so hard to hold it all together but I guess this is the last straw. I love her so much but I wonder if we will ever know what is going on with her or if she will ever be able to call me ma ma. Please tell me I am not the only one who feels like this.

March 1st, 2011, 01:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Not sure how old your daughter is but I know the feeling. My son is considered one of the lowest functioning in his preschool class. Daniel is 4 and has just started calling me mama in the past few months. I know it isn't easy but try to keep your head up.

March 1st, 2011, 03:17 PM
she just turned 3....it sucks somedays

March 1st, 2011, 08:30 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Breea,
I wish I had something helpful to say. You're right. It does just suck some days. I hope tomorrow will be better for you. In the meantime, I'll send you some 'cause it's all I got.
March 2nd, 2011, 05:02 AM
Today is better then yesterday. I think some days I just need a good cry to get it all out and then Im good for awhile. It is just hard when you live waiting for the other shoe to drop. What got me so upset is her PT score from what I can understand in on a z scoring system and it goes from 1.1 to -1.1 and she is -3.87 basically baby ratings. I know she is behind but hearing it sometimes is hard. Thanks for the well wishes and hugs I usually feel very alone in the world.

March 2nd, 2011, 12:37 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad you're doing better today.
Quote:
What got me so upset is her PT score from what I can understand in on a z scoring system and it goes from 1.1 to -1.1 and she is -3.87 basically baby ratings.
This is why I choose not to educate myself about those things. (and numbers just confuse me anyway) IMHO ignorance really is bliss in this case. You know your daughter better than any test. Maybe it doesn't work for everyone but it really helps me to stay positive if I forget about the scores and just focus on what Ellie can do and what we can do right now to make her life better.
March 2nd, 2011, 03:24 PM
maybe i should do that

March 3rd, 2011, 06:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
oh honey I have no advise either, we have all had pity days, having one myself but I won't bother this thread with it.

I know from my friend who's daughter had sensory disorder and speech delay, they told her to NOT look at the scores until like a year later for that reason. I can also tell you that she was scored around 15 months when she was 3 years old. She didn't talk at all, no mama dada, not even the sounds, then at about 3 1/2 she started talking. Now at 5 she still has some quirks but you wouldn't know it. Her speech is not the greatest but she is understandable. There is always hopw

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

March 6th, 2011, 07:01 PM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm with you!!! My daughter turned 3 and will only say "mama" when she's very hurt. Other than that no words. Does your daughter walk? Cause I HATE that about PT scores. They base EVERYTHING off their ability to walk. When Carrie took steps her pt score went from -3. something to 1.somthing. I think that's a MAJOR flaw in the PT eval. just they eval on "can they bend to pick something up while walking" etc so it's really not an accurate way to eval a child who doesn't walk.

I fall apart a lot too when faced with exactly how far behind Carrie is. If you ever wanna talk you can pm me!

Carrie is highest functioning in her class, but that is because the children in her class are immobile. When we move (in 8 weeks) and she's in her new class, she'll be by far the lowest functioning child.

The only thing that gets me through the pity party days is the hope. You have to remind yourself that there is always so much hope to be had and anything really is possible. (I'd go nuts if I didn't believe that!)

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."

Last edited by C&K'sMama; March 6th, 2011 at 07:05 PM.
March 7th, 2011, 04:38 AM
Yes she walks but doesnt run or hop skip or jump. I figured the walking was a good thing but guess not. Since she got her braces she is better but i guess still scores low

March 7th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Super Mommy
I totally feel you. My son is 4, and isnt sitting or walking or talking. It's really hard because I so want to hear him say mama. His therapists have told me that having this baby will be very therapeutic for him.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search