Our (&^!%#$) IEP Situation (kinda long)

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Super Mommy
Master TJ started attending an awesome special needs preschool program through our county
from January 2010-July 2010, and made some amazing and excellent progress. At the time, we were living with DH's parents, and due to some issues going on, decided to apply for an apartment at a new, low income apartment complex a few blocks away, but unfortunately located in a different school district.

In August 2010, we got our acceptance letter with a move-in date of October 15th, 2010.

After we moved in, for a week, I continued to drive back over to the in-laws old house (they had moved too), and drop Master TJ to catch the bus to go to school. During that week, DH and I went to the district office in the new school district, to find out what paperwork would be needed to keep Master TJ in the county preschool program.
The new district had its own special needs preschool program, but we felt it didn't give Master TJ the challenges and efforts it would take to keep up his amazing progress.

So the school district told us they would work with us to keep him in the county program, but until they got it worked out, we had to pull him out. So for 8 weeks straight, I kept calling and emailing. I would get mixed responses from "we just need one more signature from the county program" (answer from the school district) to "we haven't gotten anything from the school district" (answer from the county program).

The 3 week Christmas break came around, so I had to wait until January to resume my "operations".
Well for 3 weeks, I still kept getting the run around.
Then on January 24th, 2011, I get a call from the director of special education, who basically tells me that they feel they have the appropriate program for Master TJ, so they WILL NOT approve my request to keep him where he was at.
So Master TJ has been out of school since November 2010.

DH and I trying to decide what to do. In order to have a new IEP implemented, we have to enroll him in this district. I personally don't want to because I feel they will try and bully us into "their" preschool program, so that way they don't have to spend money.

March 7th, 2011, 09:33 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow! I'm sorry. That just stinks! It doesn't seem like such a rediculous request to me to let him stay in his old school. Of course we all know that doesn't mean anything.

What is it exactly about the new school that doesn't meet his needs? Maybe getting recomendations from his therapists or his pediatrician, citing the specifics might help.

I wish I had more to offer....other than I feel your pain.
March 8th, 2011, 05:17 AM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
I'm sorry they're giving you all this trouble. I would try the new school and then if it truly isn't meeting your expectations, try to switch again with proof of his halted progress. KWIM? You'd have concrete proof that the first school is better for your son.

((Hugs))

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
March 10th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I agree with them. It sucks all around but is there anything the new school can do to meet his needs? Are they willing to do those things?

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search