Not sure where to post this?

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 10th, 2011, 02:33 AM
AshleeandEbony's Avatar Veteran
Im not sure if this is the appropriate board for this question, but i need to start somewhere!
My parter and i have been talking about TTC our first child together (i have a DD from previous relationship who is 4). My partner also has Hirschsprung's disease. I am aware it is genetic and from what his mother has told me it is pretty rare in australia. His brother also has it, and has 2 children of his own one of those who has Hirschsprung's. I have tried to talk to his ex about how it was raising a child with that kind of disorder but we arent really close. I was wondering if anyone here has a child with Hirschsprung's disease and any advice/info you may have. I am aware there is a high chance our child (if we get pregnant) could have this and want to prepare myself for what it could entail. I've thought about it and i dont have a problem in any way shape or form about having a child with Hirschsprungs, its certainly not going to stop me but i would like to be fully informed.

Thanks so much for looking

Thanks to GraysMama for my gorgeous siggy!

March 10th, 2011, 06:57 AM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think this is the perfect place to post about this. I, personally, know nothing about Hirschsprung's but after looking it up, it seems my two biggest worries would be surgery (to connect functioning part of the bowel to the anus) and the fact that Hirschsprung's patients have higher incidences of thyroid cancer, neuroblastoma, and a few other syndromes they list.

Iin our case and friend's of ours that have kids with genetic conditions, I've seen a lot of guilt associated with hereditary situations. Especially in regard to the surgery and anything where the child is in pain. For that reason, I think the most important part is having someone (not hubby cause he's going through something very similar) that you can talk to about EVERYTHING. Someone you can get very personal with and expose your feelings and such.

I'd also try and really prepare financially. What I saw said that there is a chance of your child requiring colostomy bags and I'd check into how much is covered by insurance and what you'll expect out of pocket and look into whether you have doctors around you that can handle the condition. It'll just make the transition easier if your baby has it and you know there is a doctor near that is comfortable treating it.

Having a child with special needs is not as scary as most people think.

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."

Last edited by C&K'sMama; March 10th, 2011 at 08:08 AM.
March 10th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I also know noting about the disease but you were given great info.
I agree that its not "hard" though it can be at times, its also a bl.essing

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

March 10th, 2011, 01:49 PM
AshleeandEbony's Avatar Veteran
I know about the surgery the child will need, my partner had it as a baby and so did his brother and his brothers son. The advances in medicine really show in the scars though, as both Cody and his brother have long horizontal scars from being physically opened but my nephew only has 3 small dots and a small cut from the newer surgery methods. I actually havent thought about the financial obligations thanks for bringing that up! Im actually not sure how much of it would be covered and how much id have to pay, thats definitely something i will be looking into as being financially responsible before we start TTC is a big deal for us

Thanks to GraysMama for my gorgeous siggy!

March 10th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
I have a friends who has a DD with this. She has had surgery for it and is a really happy 3 yr old. She does have a gtube for another problem, but she's doing very well.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search