financial question

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 15th, 2011, 09:54 PM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
a bit of a depressing topic... be warned.

Before Carrie was born we set up a college fund. We also have one for Kate. When I move I plan on talking to a financial advisor on how to invest their money better and prepare for the future. Contrary to our plans, college may not be in her future, she may even require assisted living for her whole life. I'll never kick her out. She'll be with me as long as she wants too, but I have to prepare for a day that I won't be around to take care of her. What kind of financial preparations are you making for your child's future? How are you investing (if you are).

I don't know if I need to set up a trust for her or what I need to do to make sure that she has money forever.

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."

Last edited by C&K'sMama; March 15th, 2011 at 09:57 PM.
March 15th, 2011, 10:09 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow...That's a scary thought! dh and I honestly haven't thought much about it yet. I guess we should huh? We have college funds for all our girls and we fully expect Ellie to go to college too even if it's just community college. Thinking about her life beyond that just hasn't been much of a priority lately.
March 16th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
This is a topic I really haven't let myself think about. All our children have college accounts. I guess the real questions for us are: Will Ava live that long? If she's still here, will she be healthy enough for college? If she is well enough for college, the money will be there for her to go.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
March 16th, 2011, 08:54 AM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
oh, if only we could afford to set up an account!! no, really . . . we barely have savings ourselves. If Kaiden needs assistance he will stay with us of course. He qualifies for disability income but isn't "eligible" until DH's income is no longer in the picture.
March 16th, 2011, 12:03 PM
breea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We were just talking about this about a week ago, we are not sure what we are going to do right no...kinda sad

March 16th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
Here is where we are very blessed even worse case scenerio and Avery has zero vision, she can still live a full functioning life on her own. No college accounts as we can barely pay the bills as is.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

March 16th, 2011, 03:02 PM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenchild View Post
oh, if only we could afford to set up an account!! no, really . . . we barely have savings ourselves. If Kaiden needs assistance he will stay with us of course. He qualifies for disability income but isn't "eligible" until DH's income is no longer in the picture.
We have the same situation with carrie and we're keeping her savings out of her name for that same reason (I don't want the money I'm saving for her to affect her social security when she's an adult)

I expect that Carrie will be able to go to college but to what degree she'll be able to live on her own her ability to hold down a job is questionable. I want to make sure that she has enough to not have to end up in some substandard state facility if something were to happen to me (or even worse have her sister have to shoulder the burden of financially supporting her sister)

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search