Car seats??

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2011, 08:19 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do any of you use a "special needs" car seat for your little one? Does your insurance cover it? If not, have you made any modifications to your regular car seat to give them extra support? What else do you do to keep them comfy and safe in the car?
April 29th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Regular
We've "modified". We prop the front of her seat up with a towel to give her a little more tilt and keep her head up a little better. We have a bean bag between her seat and the seat in front of her to give her a solid place for her feet (if her legs dangle they hurt her a lot). If we are on a longer ride she gets her pillow pet on her lap to rest her head and a small blanket rolled up on neach side to keep her back from slouching/curving.

Oh, and we have a regular graco nautalis (i have no idea how to spell that). It has a head rest already with little "wings" on the side, so that helps some too.
May 2nd, 2011, 09:51 AM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
We also propped it up a little. Ava has great trunk support now, so we are more worried about where to place her equipment and how tight the straps are over her belly (tubes). That sort of thing...

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
May 2nd, 2011, 11:32 AM
Quote:
We have a bean bag between her seat and the seat in front of her to give her a solid place for her feet (if her legs dangle they hurt her a lot).
How exactly do you do this?
Ellie has the same problem with her legs dangling. It's really the biggest reason we're looking into a special seat. The seat we have gives plenty of trunk support but she needs a foot rest. Her PT suggested getting one from a baby catalog like one step ahead but I've heard that using after market accesories for car seats is dangerous.
May 3rd, 2011, 05:35 AM
sweetmelissa's Avatar Live.Laugh.Love.
Rachel is rear facing in her MyRide65. We haven't had to add or modify anything (yet).

And for the poster above me - Yes using after market products can be dangerous and should be avoided at all cost. Esp if it goes between the car seat & the seat of the vehicle or between your child & the harness/back of the car seat. The general rule is that if you car seat didn't come with it when you bought it then it is not safe. Aftermarket products can cause the seat to not work properly in the event of an accident.

Last edited by sweetmelissa; May 3rd, 2011 at 05:40 AM.
May 3rd, 2011, 11:28 AM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamma_anna View Post
How exactly do you do this?
Ellie has the same problem with her legs dangling. It's really the biggest reason we're looking into a special seat. The seat we have gives plenty of trunk support but she needs a foot rest. Her PT suggested getting one from a baby catalog like one step ahead but I've heard that using after market accesories for car seats is dangerous.
It was actually pretty easy, and reletivly cheap. I saw these "make your own bean bag" things at our local kmart. So, i got a bunch of beans and filled the bag up quite full. In the car i sat the front seat up as far as it could go then pushed and shoved the bag until it was in all the way. Then sat the seat back to its original position, and it works perfectly for her. She cal stretch her legs out on it or dig her feet in a little and make a nice "foot stool" type thing. I could send you pictures next week if you want to see it (DH is away for the week, and so is the car lol)
May 4th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Alicia, thank you!
For some reason at first I was picturing something strapped to the back of the front passenger seat. But my 14 y.o. read your post and figured it out right away. She was even able to demonstrate it for me with one of the bean bags we already have. It's official....my kids are smarter than me.
Anyway, I love your idea. Thanks again. You just solved our problem.
May 5th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Regular
I'm glad you were able to figure it out!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search