Good news/Bad news

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 27th, 2011, 08:35 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First for the good news.....
Ellie is done with CBT!!! (for those who don't know...it's a special therapy for ptsd) She's been going every week since January and today was her last appointment. Her therapist said that she's progressed enough in her recovery not to need weekly sessions anymore. We'll still check in about every 3 months or as needed for a while but she's doing sooooo much better. I'm so happy!!!

Now for the bad news.....or maybe not bad, but.....well.....
We're starting a new treatment for her cerebral palsy this week. Tuesday we go to the hospital for botox injections in her legs. She'll be sedated for this which I'm really nervous about. Then in two weeks we start serial casting for 4-6 weeks.
I've had a really, really hard time making a decision about this treatment and I'm still not sure we're doing the right thing. At this point I don't think I'm going to feel good about it either way until I see it work.

Do you ever feel like you just don't know what to do when it comes to medical stuff like this? How do you make your decisions about treatment?
May 29th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
I try to weigh things and bounce them off of people that I trust their opinions. I bounce off some people that use allopathic and some that use alternative medicine. It helps me decide. I don't always follow one way or the other but it definitely gives me a multi-perspective rather than looking at it from one point of view.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

May 31st, 2011, 04:35 AM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
I've heard so many good things about botox. I have a good friend who's DD is getting a baclofan pump put in this week. There are options with CP, thankfully. ((Hugs))

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
May 31st, 2011, 07:47 AM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't allow myself to feel pressure about those kinds of decisions, if my instinct is that it's too invasive and doesn't yeild enough potential results, we simply don't do it. I can't let them poke and prod her for the fun of it.

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
June 1st, 2011, 11:46 AM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&K'sMama View Post
I can't let them poke and prod her for the fun of it.
That's why I had such a hard time with this one!! Yesterday was awful! It took 4 sticks just to get the IV in!! Once she was out I had to leave the room. I just couldn't bare to watch.
She's groggy and sore today but I have to say, we're already seeing some positive signs and its only been 24 hours. We're going swimming when she wakes up from her nap. I'm hoping the water will do her some good.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search