Potty training with a communication barrier?

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 2nd, 2011, 10:59 AM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think Carrie's ready to start potty training, but I'm having a really hard time telling myself to start. She doesn't sign real consistently and I'm terrified that this is going to be a really long road... any advice?

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
June 2nd, 2011, 04:41 PM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
none at all! I'm still trying to figure out how to train Kaiden. *I* can tell when he's going . . . but he doesn't always tell me . . . and by tell me, I mean he comes over by me, then poops! He does not communicate for peeing, I can only tell he's going if I'm holding him when he does it, I can feel the voluntary muscle movements in his abdomen.
June 2nd, 2011, 06:55 PM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can tell with Carrie too, but she battles constipation so I'm afraid if I put her on the potty when she's pushing, she'll stop and that'll cause problems There is no communication for peeing, and I put her on the potty today... she's TERRIFIED of the potty (we used regular seat, adapter seat, and little potty) but I think she's ready. If I don't give her a cup to go to bed with (let her drink until bedtime, just not after, she wakes up dry) and if I take her diaper off she holds it until I put it back on. She obviously has the control.

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
June 3rd, 2011, 09:18 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Amazon.com: Prince Lionheart weePOD: Baby
Amazon.com: The Potty Stool for Toddler Toilet Training Step Stool: Baby

Ellie has the constipation and fear issues too. If she doesn't feel supported enough or isn't comfortable on the seat she just can't go.This combination is the only thing that works for us. And we tried A LOT of options. The stool is big and rediculously expensive but our PT managed to get it covered by our insurance as adaptive equipment. We're working on getting another one for school.

As far as communication.......Ellie knows when she needs to go and she knows what she needs to do but for the longest time she just wouldn't or couldn't tell us. Instead she would try to do everything herself. I mean litterally crawling into the bathroom. Obviously that didn't work so we had a lot of accidents on the bathroom floor. So for a while I'd put her on the potty every hour whether she gave any signals or not. Eventually I learned to read her body language and she learned to communicate with me better. It took a few months and she still has occasional accidents. But they're rare at this point so I consider her fully potty trained.

It will take time but you and Carrie will figure it out. Probably not what you were hoping for huh? Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Last edited by mamma_anna; June 3rd, 2011 at 09:23 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search