Hello

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2011, 06:35 PM
lilangel91284's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So I posted this in another board an realized there is this board!

Hello I am Angela new to this board but not to JM (Ive been around for a while)
I have two kids one which I have medically diagnosed with a disability and the other one I question. I am also a single mom, trying to finish my second degree, and I recently took a job that will pay well but I am going to miss my babies.

My daughter (Gracelyn) was diagnosed at 18 months with multi-system developmental disorder (which is a form of autism). In the last few months she was also diagnoses with sensory processing disorder, and a eating disorder. I am at a lost sometimes with her. I don't really have anyone supportive I am able to talk about my daughter with. I don't have anyone telling me that I am doing the right things for her. I get a lot of the negative that maybe I am being to aggressive or pushy with her treatment plan. I have also seen HUGE results of how much she has changed in the past six months to. So to see a benefit and to want more for my daughter and being pushy I don't see it being a bad thing.
June 23rd, 2011, 06:33 AM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome!!

I think most people think what we're doing with Kaiden (he has Down Syndrome) is totally weird and *most* of the parents I've met won't even give it a try . . . but thru special diet and musculoskeletal therapy we're seeing HUGE benefits (cognitive came with diet, musculoskeletal therapy is really helping with mobility) . . . traditional diet and traditional therapy gets a traditional result. I hear you . . . when you see huge results you go for what works!!
June 23rd, 2011, 07:42 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have had so many people who disagree with me about Lil Buddy. Many told me he'd never be any better than about a 1 year old developmentally. But he is doing so well after me fighting to get him on a good diet and get lots of therapies for him as well as learn to do other therapies at home with him. It's been a battle much of the time, but he is learning and growing. He is now 4 and developmentally about 18 months in most areas, but I'm so proud!

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
June 23rd, 2011, 10:39 AM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
Welcome to the SN board!! I'm so glad you're joining us

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
July 3rd, 2011, 06:55 PM
lilangel91284's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you! I just need people to talk to besides doctors, Gracelyns therapist. I don't get out much (or at all) so being around other adults has been hard.
July 4th, 2011, 09:27 PM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome. I get the "too pushy" thing all the time, but the fact is that my daughter is making great progress and she LOVES here therapies. I dont push her to do things that she doesn't want to (except eat cause she's too skinny), but as long as she's thriving and enjoying herself I've going to push for every BIT of progress we can get.

If you ever wanna talk to someone on your side this is a great board, or you're welcome to pm me My 3 year old is undiagnosed, but global developmental delays... we are in 20.5 hours of therapy a week (not including anat banal) plus some vitamin regimines... it's a lot but in November they said she'd never walk. My daughter can even turn corners un assisted as of last week. Our effort is paying off big and I wont have anyone else tell me what is right for my kiddo

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
July 9th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Welcome! I am Sarah single mommy to DS Danny who will be 4 next week. He has several health problems that we had been having a hard time getting the doctors to take seriously until recently. I have people right and left...and doctors too...telling me that we just need to let him rest and deal with whatever it may be as it comes. Hang in there girly. You know what is best for your kids and you are their advocate. I would rather be too pushy than too relaxed anyday.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

July 9th, 2011, 11:39 AM
First of all, let me say that I do not have a child with this disability but I do teach special education. So I want you to know that I applaud any and all parents of children with disabilities. Especially ones that do exactly what you are doing!!
You have a while to worry about school, however, I know with all you are doing at this point in Gracelyn's life is only helping her not only now but in her future. You are her mother and only you know what is best for her. I say ignore those people that don't support you. I have seen some major improvements in children on the spectrum and guess what they where the ones who had parents that did what you are doing. So keep your head up..your doing a good thing

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search