Help potty traing a high functioning autistic.

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 15th, 2011, 06:16 AM
Mom to minions's Avatar Super Mommy
We knew Clark would have problems because he was premature. He showed some signs before he was formally given the classification so much so that other moms with kids that were autistic use to say things at the play area.

Anyway, Clark is a high functioning autistic and just turned 4. He also has some other neurological issues that they are trying to figure out. It is mainly connected with sudden vision issues which his Ophthalmologist says are neurological and his eyes and nerves there are just fine. The theory right now is that he has mini seizures lasting a fraction of a second and it is disrupting things in his head. But insurance and it not happening all the time is making it fun to have testing done.

BUT it leads me to potty training. He has wanted to do so for a year and a half now. He gets going and does so well that he is in undies. Then suddenly he back slides and refuses to go at all and has to be put back in a diaper (he actually demands it). We do not force him to do it (I know better than that).

His brother is potty training too and is doing well. We had hopes that Clark would try to keep up with Tyke (#2) like he has done in the past. Unfortunately he has not and has no desire to on this matter.

I know I still have a year to work it out, but there was talk about after this year of preschool of mainstreaming him for kindergarten. He is very smart, loves other kids, and loves to learn. He just has a few triggers and some social issues. They can work with his fixations and we do have exercises at home to help him when he is fixating on things. So he has become much better. BUT we were told they would keep him in special Ed if he was not using a potty full time.

Clark only will use the normal toilet with no toddler seat. The sticker reward and candy reward makes no difference to him. He does not care if he is wet. We have been trying the running around naked method but that has not worked. It is kinda sad since 5 months ago he was almost fully potty trained. He only had slight problem with not always wanting to go poop on the potty.
Pork (Laurence) 9/09 ~ 8lbs 3oz @ 36 1/2 weeks
2 angels in heaven 10/06 and 01/11
July 15th, 2011, 07:53 PM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
sorry. I can't be any help. We are struggling here too

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
July 25th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
I just wanted to offer hugs and good luck. We are potty-training an autistic kid, same age as your Tyke. We're a month into it. He's not even 'trained' per se, he's just learning how to use the toilet and what goes in it. I know Tristan's terribly afraid of loud, woofy noises he can't yet control or doesn't yet understand - think public restrooms with the hand dryers and auto-flush toilets. It does make me wonder if there's something sensory disrupting your guy's training. Again, best of luck in that and I hope it resolves quickly!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search