Initial results...

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 25th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Danny had an endoscopy with biopsies and a ph probe today. The ph probe will come out tomorrow at which point he will be allowed to go home. The initial endoscopy results were not at all what I was expecting. He has mild gastritis and mild esophagitis but that isn't 1/2 of it. He has many, many, many ulcers in his stomach near where his small intestines connect and throughout at least the upper part of his small intestine. The doctor thinks it is another food allergy. I am not so sure though. He had no sign of any of this AT ALL in December at his last endoscopy. Now all of a sudden it is this bad??? I think maybe this has to do with his enzymes. His old GI upped his dose back in January or February because he wasn't gaining weight with eating over 2000 calories. Well...in March he stopped eating and is still only getting about 1200-1500 calories with at one point getting only between 500-1000 calories per day for about 1.5 months. Could that have caused the ulcers? I don't know but I am not sold on the idea that he could develop a food allergy that is this bad this quickly...not to mention how on earth would we 1) be able to find it...it will be a needle in a haystack and 2) how will I be able to feed him if I have to cut anything else out? He is already off of eggs, milk, soy, tomatoes, carrots, red 40, cinnamon, tree nuts, and strawberries. Anything else will be...ugh...just not good. I just hope that one way or another I will be able to help him heal from this. The GI is going to start kerafate (sp?) tomorrow which is supposed to coat his stomach and small intestine as well as help them to heal. We definitely will need the prevacid and zantac for the reflux that is (at this point we are still assuming) causing the gastritis and esophagitis. I was hoping that they would find something to explain the not growing but I was hoping it was something that would not have been causing him pain....

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

July 26th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
Awww, poor Danny. It might be EoE. When they get the results back, find out what his eosiniphil count was. If he has EOE, that would cause ulcers and FTT. ((Hugs))

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
July 26th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ick...I am soooo hoping it isn't. My bigger fear though is that he will have Celiac and something else causing the ulcers. The enzymes are pork based so a pork allergy would be detrimental as there is no enzyme supplement that is not based on pork. I don't know how many more allergies I can work around and still get him adequate nutrition. I am just glad I only have to wait until this coming Tuesday to find out the results and the plan of action for this. If it is EE that would mean tube feeding. We tried a few other formulas this morning and he tasted then refused all of them.

July 26th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I mostly don't understand why/how this has all come up within the last 7 months. He had an endoscopy with a pancreatic function test Dec 27, 2010 and it was 100% normal other than his pancreas not producing enzymes...

July 27th, 2011, 12:33 PM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
well, on the order of cutting things out - you can always try the diet we follow for Kaiden. Just meat, fruits, veggies - nuts & seeds are optional He's also off beef & pork so we do a lot of chicken, turkey, lamb, fish, and I just got a duck to roast. Venison will be coming this fall.

Believe me he gets plenty to eat
July 27th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I may have to be getting meal plans from you.

So the biopsies are back and they actually called to give results even though nothing immediate is needed. EoE and Celiac are both negative. The esophagitis is due to mild reflux. They have no idea what is causing the gastritis or ulcers and the nurse got really sick of answering questions. The doctor is a lot better though and we go in Tuesday to see her. We get allergy testing Wednesday to start looking for causes in that area...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search