Down Syndrome

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 5th, 2011, 12:56 AM
My son was born Wednesday morning, at 35 weeks. We received the unexpected news that he has been blessed with Down Syndrome. I knew the minute I saw him and the doctor confirmed my thoughts a couple of hours after he was born. I'm ok with it. Yes, it's come as a huge shock but I'm not upset over it. He is still my baby.

We haven't told family or friends yet, we will do once he is released from hospital. There is no need for anybody to know yet.

Jamie Jack
Born at 35 weeks
Unexpectedly blessed with Down's Syndrome
August 5th, 2011, 06:10 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations on your son! How is he doing right now? Is he in the NICU?

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
August 5th, 2011, 06:45 AM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi! Congratulations on a beautiful baby boy!!!! I like your naming trend (the double initials)

Seems like you're holding up well. I can't say that we did when we found out. It's a lot to deal with at once.

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
August 5th, 2011, 06:59 AM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on your son!! My Kaiden has T21 too. He is one amazing little boy!!

I will tell you one thing - Standard American Diet + standard therapies = standard result. Yes, standard therapies are good, but IMO more can be done. The books on standard therapies seemed to say to me that that is all there is you can do . . . and that is SO not true. In fact, we were kinda disgusted with those books and finally just got rid of them and keep doing our own thing, inventing our own therapies since Kaiden shows us what he wants/needs.

Excellent nutrition + standard AND alternative therapies = an amazing result.

Don't let anyone tell you what your child will or won't do. Start EARLY with nutrition and development - Your Baby Can Read, flashcards, games, whatever. Get down on the floor with them and get active!

By nutrition, I mean - many DS individuals are lactose and gluten intolerant. I figured, why wait until there is a problem? Kaiden gets only whole fresh foods - we are grain free, dairy free and nightshade free. He can have all the meat, fresh fruits & veggies, nuts & seeds he wants. No artificial preservatives, colors, flavors - nothing artificial. Funny thing, I put him on this diet and then found out there is already a following for it it's called the paleo diet. Lots of parents supplement - there is Nutrivine (and another one I can't think of the name of) that targets Down's individuals. But it's a general supplement and not tailored to the individual. Kaiden wouldn't have done well on it because it has a high level of Vitamin A, which is a problem for Kaiden, it affected his seizures. Personally I like Dr. Christopher's (natural) supplements as Kaiden didn't do well with the over-the-counter supplements you can get at any pharmacy. He gets Kid-E-Mins (vitamins), Kid-E-Trac (emotional stability, helps the child to focus), Kid-E-Calc (calcium, to support his nervous system since he had seizures), and Heal Ear & Nerve (which I also gave him for his seizures but they helped his balance SO much I keep giving it to him). He also gets TMG (trimethlyglycine), grapeseed extract (antioxidant) and citicholine.

When you get a chance, please check out: The Down Syndrome Action Plan She's on FB too, but not that often. She highly recommends reading Amazon.com: What to Do About Your Brain-Injured Child: Or Your Brain-Damaged, Mentally Retarded, Mentally Deficient, Cerebral-Palsied, Spatic, Flaccid, Rigid, ... Autistic, Athetoid, Hyperactive, Down's Child (9780895295989): Glenn Doman: Books - treating it like a brain injury, not an expectation of developmental delay. And then there is the site (and book) Naturally Better Kids | Resources for parents to help their children be at their best, naturally.

My little Kaiden developed benign myoclonic seizures around 7 mo of age and the lights went out, so to speak, and everybody blamed his delays on DS. In fact I got quite a bit of "he has DS, what do you expect??" But when I figured out the cause of his seizures (nightshade foods) and eliminated them from his diet, he for lack of a better term, woke up. Yes, he is delayed, but he is delayed about the same amount of time that he had the seizures - 8 - 10 months, and that's pretty consistent.

There is an interesting new article that just came out http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/31/ma...ted=3&emc=eta1 regarding how glutamate (in the brain) comes into play and I'm still currently mired in research on that + how nightshades come into play (has something to do with the glycoalkaloid nicotine that is in nightshade foods). I haven't figured it all out yet, but it does make for fascinating research.

Anyway, there's lots of great information if you know where to look . . . I will be glad to help in any way I can!

Last edited by greenchild; August 5th, 2011 at 07:14 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search