What test will be done for a one year old not gaining weight?

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 30th, 2011, 06:51 AM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
I hope it is ok to post this here... I am hoping someone can give me insight to what the Pedi might do

My little guy Gavin just turned 1 last week and only weighs 16lbs 8 oz

He was born at 7.13 so it wasn't like he started little and he grew up til 6-7 months of age... at a week before 7 months he was 16.4.... which he stayed at til 11 months and he has just gained 4 ozs

My family dr has refered us to a Pedi because he has fallen completely off the growth chart and isn't gaining much at all

Just wondered if someone might have some insight as to what the Pedi will do .... or have any ideas of what is going on

Thanks so much

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy
August 30th, 2011, 07:08 AM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
welcome!

Kaiden hovered around 20lbs for about a year, he was around 22 lbs but then lost almost 3 when he got active, then we had some other issues come up that caused his weight to stay down - his pedi was all concerned looking at the charts but she refused to look at what happened between each visit that caused him to stay stable or lose weight. Can you say DONE with that pedi.

Anyway, they might want to test a few things. Is he developing normally in other areas - cognitive, motor skills, etc? Does he get sick a lot?
August 30th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Gavin does get sick fairly often... fevers that spike to 104.7 (that is the highest I have taken it at atleast) but he doesn't get loose bm's or vomiting... he also often gets colds that leads to coughing but nothing too crazy

developmentally he is def not advanced in his language, I would say he is behind slightly but his family dr isn't concerned so I don't know if I am just over stressing one that

physically he crawls (has since 7 months---also when his weight stalled... and he stopped night feeding), has pulled up since before 8 months
does not walk yet... he is just learning to stand for about a minute without holding on

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy

Last edited by irish luck; August 30th, 2011 at 07:17 AM.
August 30th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
If he has no other major GI symptoms, they will probably do routine labs to check all his vitamin/nutrient levels and a CBC. They will probably tweak his daily caloric needs and show you how to add extra fat to his menu. Pediasure might be added. This is usually the first step. If these things don't work then a more thorough GI workup might be ordered so he may get a referrel to a pediatric gastrointerologist.

My daughter is FTT due to Mito and she is tube fed.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
August 30th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
I agree with Ditzzy. The first step is upping calories. If that doesn't work and he continues to flatline or loses weight they will look for food allergies, GI problems, growth hormone problems...stuff like that. How is his height? Is he still proportionate to his height or is he in like the 70th for height and still growing taller but he is staying the same weight? Sometimes when children grow taller they will stall in gaining weight but should resume gaining once the spurt is over... Granted that shouldn't take six months but they will look at that too. His height and weight patterns together tell the doc more than the weight alone.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

August 30th, 2011, 05:50 PM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with the above. Unless there is more than the lack of weight gain, I bet they just up his calories for a while. Carrie was a similar weight at a year and we used pedisure (it stains EVERYTHING so be really careful, even the vanilla leaves water ring like stains). Our doc didn't do bloodwork for her even after she fell off the charts. They did put her on prevacid for a bit to see if gas or other pain maybe from reflux was the cause. It wasn't... she's just small He may just be a small boy at a weight plateau.

I hope everything goes well... We have many friends with just naturally small kids who see pedis after being told that their child is under weight. Many get good care, but about 1/2 of them come back crying saying that the doc more or less accused them of not feeding the child. Be prepared that if you get a less than awesome doc, he may "imply" that it's your fault (not feeding him enough calorie rich foods). I'm not saying it's your fault by any means, just that some docs like to write it off onto the parents. I hope thats not the case for you, but I've seen several of my friends come home in tears, so just a heads up

Hope all goes well and he's just a little one! He sure is cute!

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
August 30th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Thank you so much for all of the responses! I kinda wondered if they are going to make me feel crappy about his food.... I have never been to this pedi and I went online to read reviews on him and apparently he is VERY blunt. I feed him really healthy food but he eats a ton of it

They called me today and the appointment is for Thursday so at least i don't have to wait long

I think he is just little and will have a late grow spurt... his brother wasn't this little but was on the smaller side til he had a late spurt around 2 years old

again thank you!

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy
August 30th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I'm glad you're at least prepared for it. I figured if you cared enough to post here to find answers, he probably isn't on an all koolaid diet It just made me sad and frustrated to see how MANY docs would rather tell a mother that she is doing somethign wrong than to just say that not ALL kids are ON the chart.

Carrie was 15 lbs at a year old. Her Special needs has no GI involvement (occassional constipation, which is typical for many kids) She didn't hit 20 lbs until she was 16 months. She was off the chart tiny, but she's just a skinny girl

Good luck again Please let us know how it goes.

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
August 30th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Ya, no juice here, not even for my almost 4 year old! I forgot to add he is also short... not quite 28 inches... and in my pics you can see he is not unhealthy looking In the cake pic he has such a full belly cus I didn't want him to eat to much of the cake!

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy
August 31st, 2011, 05:20 AM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
I will say that we spend a LOT of time with doctors and I've never, ever had one make me feel bad for anything. Most pediatric doctors aren't like that. Good luck and I hope you get some answers!

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
August 31st, 2011, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditzzy View Post
I will say that we spend a LOT of time with doctors and I've never, ever had one make me feel bad for anything. Most pediatric doctors aren't like that. Good luck and I hope you get some answers!
We, also, spend a lot of time with doctors and have had a few try to make us feel like something was our fault, but I was more referring to our friends who just have small kids (no other diagnosis). We've lived in 5 states since Carrie's birth and in each one had friends be told by pedi's that it was their fault that their child was underweight (all of those kids had no other diagnosis and weight was the only concern). Personally I wonder if the chart is inaccurate because we do have many friends whose children are off the charts small.

I hope it doesn't happen that way for you, and I know as many docs who didn't act like that. I just wanted you to be a bit prepared in case you got one of the less than awesome docs. Going to a doc for any concern is scary enough, and the friends that have gone through the bad doctors come home shocked and hurt because it was implied to be their fault. In each case, of course, it wasn't the parent's fault and they later realized that. I was just hoping to prepare you and make sure that if you got one that leaned that way, you could take it with a grain of salt Best of luck.

Last edited by C&K'sMama; August 31st, 2011 at 09:02 AM.
August 31st, 2011, 06:40 PM
Thanks again girls! I have his appointment tomorrow so hopefully it goes well. I honestly think he is just little and will grow eventually and hopefully the dr thinks that as well.

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy
September 1st, 2011, 11:28 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
Keep us posted! Your lo is a little older than mine, but mine had a definately slowdown after learning to crawl and stand. (also your lo does NOT sound behind to me)

My ds doesn't eat food, but I feed him at night to increase calories.

}
September 2nd, 2011, 12:29 PM
The pedi decided to not do any tests, he figures he is healthy but just tiny. We go back in 3 months. I am ok with this for now cus I really really think he is fine
Thanks again for allof your knowledge

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy
September 2nd, 2011, 07:50 PM
That's great! He looks like a sweet healthy boy Good luck to you guys

September 3rd, 2011, 12:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
GREAT!!! I hope he continues to do well at his own pace!

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search