Ugh...

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 6th, 2011, 10:14 AM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Why can't all the therapists and teachers and such get on the same page as me. I know we haven't been here long but I'm getting SO tired of people over estimating my kids. I know that sounds weird but it's true.

Lets start with Carrie. Her teacher came for an in home visit last week (she starts preschool on Friday) and they were doing puzzles and such. The teacher would hold up a puzzle piece and insist that Carrie say the name of the picture before she'd give the piece to her... Carrie's got a 6 consonant vocabulary. She can mimic somethings but asking her to say "chicken" is ridiculous. That's not a consonant that kids at her vocab level have and then when Carrie would fail to do it, she'd give the piece to her anyway (after telling Carrie "no" to her attempts at saying more and other failed attempts to say chicken). This enforces a bad work ethic cause Carrie thinks she got it wrong and still got the piece. It's going to stunt her confidence cause she is REALLY trying and she's told "no". AND it's totally unrealistic to ask my kind to say words like "chicken" and "truck", really teacher?? I already told you all she has is "mama", "more", and "becca".

Then Carrie's ABA who says Carrie is doing SOOOO well. I swear the next time she says it, I'm going to punch her in her overly white teeth. I know my kid is doing well. I have no doubts of that but don't follow it up with "she traced a line today and she's making great progress"... She's been tracing shapes for 6 months, how is it progress that she's doing something less than what she's been doing for 6 months? I've TOLD her that Carrie can do that so I don't know why I'm being told it like it's news. Its after EVERY session... "She's doing soooo well cause today she did this _____" and it's ALWAYS something that she's been doing for months and what happens when this therapist figures out what Carrie can do, are the comments going to be that she's stalled out?

Katie's therapist thinks that Katie is perfect... don't get me wrong, she is... but Katie's got a speech delay. it's not bad, but it's definitely there. it's likely because Carrie doesn't talk and I'm okay with that. But every day after speech katie toddles out and the therapist follows behind her saying" she did so well, she repeated _____, and _____, and ______".... awesome.. my kid can mimic... but I already knew that. She's not hear for that. She's here for language not speech. They are DIFFERENT things. Katie's 20 months old and can say 4 things. She can NOT ask me for a bottle, she can NOT ask me for any kind of specific food (she can say "eat") She can not get her needs across to me. Thats why she is here. She needs to be working with "cracker" and then given a cracker to reinforce that words are LANGUAGE and that they get you things... not just that she can make just a bunch of sounds together.

I feel like no one is working with either of them where they need to. They don't seem to be acknowledging the problems that exist, rather they're fitting my kids into someone else's game plan. Even IF Carrie could say "chicken" when her teacher was asking for it, at this point I REALLY want her to be pushing FUNCTIONAL language (like yes, no, cup, etc) not naming things. We are no where near ready for that to be a priority. Katie is the same. I don't care if she can repeat every animal in the zoo if she can't tell me that she's hungry. Rant over, thanks for listening.

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
September 7th, 2011, 09:25 AM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
oh I hear you!!

I love Kaiden's therapists, I really do, they're pretty on board bc they've been with him since the beginning - except the Spec Ed teacher. His current teacher, I LOVE!! The one prior to that - same kind of crap you're getting. She kept trying to use baby talk with him even after I repeatedly stopped her and even lectured her over it (ummm, stupid idea . . . teach him the wrong words first, then have to correct him later???), then more stupid things like when he was about 8 - 9 months old she says, you need to teach him to eat off a spoon. Yeah lady, like he HASN'T been eating off a spoon for months now????? Stuff like that was never-ending. Even Lola hated her

The OT, I love her, she's a total sweetheart . . . but I want to work on feeding and fine motor skills . . . she basically comes in and plays with him, evaluates him . . . but as far as DOING anything that I can see is more than playing/talking to him . . . IDK. I don't see what she's doing therapy-wise, I guess. So we've taken matters into our own hands and invented our own therapies. She isn't here at feeding time so other than suggestions she can't really help with that I suppose. But we're doing well on that front now.

But yeah. I hear you.
September 7th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
((Hugs)) I understand 100% and I'm sorry.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search