Need a little reassurance

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 30th, 2011, 12:48 PM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay, let me start this off by saying that I have NOTHING against children who ride the bus...

anyways. I'm considering putting Carrie on the bus but I'm feeling REALLY guilty about it. by FAR most of the children who attend her school ride the bus and EVERY child in her class does. Because she's in a special need class and the school she attends only houses up to 2nd grade, the number of kids on her bus is really low and since it's the "special" (short) bus, there is an aide on it. I'd previously been REALLY against it because I think 3 is just too young to be riding the bus and especially since Carrie has auditory sensory issues.

Well... Carrie's class is taken out the bus exit and every day she tries to get on one of the buses (like she thinks that is where I am taking her) and doesn't seem to have any problems with it. She cries when I drop her off (separation issues) but is really liking school, so I'm thinking she might now hate the bus. I'm having a REALLY hard time getting her there on time. 3 days a week she has therapies before school and so we drive around all morning, then go home for 20-30 minutes then get back in the car to take her to school (and she's only in school for 2.5 hours). So it makes for a LOT of driving, and Katie has completely lost her naps cause we're in the car during those times. I'm worried about how long Carrie would have to be on the bus (like if she's last picked up or last dropped off, it might take a while to get her home) and how she'll handle it, but the way it works to pick her up is that all the parking spots near the buses are full so I have to park in the neighborhood across the street then drag katie and wait and then try and drag them both across a busy street to get them into the car pushing through the bus riders to get there... it's REALLY difficult (especially with two children who don't walk very well)

BUT if I put her on the bus, I'll miss the relationship with the teacher (finding out how she does each day, etc)

am I terrible and selfish for considering putting her on the bus?? For the moms of non bus riders, does the pain in the butt process to pick them up get better at any point?

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
October 2nd, 2011, 03:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I think the best thing is if SHE can handle the bus, they can handle her on the bus and it makes her happy to do it, I think you should give it a try. Maybe follow the bus to school the first fw days, so you can see how she is when she gets off.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

October 3rd, 2011, 08:25 AM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
I'd let her ride if she likes it. I personally take Ava to school because I stay with her most days. But they said when Ava does start riding the bus they will pick her up last/drop her off first. I'd call transportation and see if that is an option for Carrie.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
October 3rd, 2011, 10:02 AM
challowell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would call transportation and ask if they could pick her up last and drop her off first. For Rachel she sees the bus as a mark of her being a big girl and I wish they ran one for her. I think your little one would be fine if she shows that much interest in the bus.

Last edited by challowell; October 3rd, 2011 at 05:32 PM.
October 3rd, 2011, 04:01 PM
SmilesAreContagious's Avatar Rheanna Mommy-2-b
My SO's father is actually a bus driver, and he transports special needs children. He always makes sure to relay any messages from the teachers to the parents, and has built a special bond with most of his riders.
I dont think you should feel guilty at all. It might be good for her to have that little bit of independence. I know that Jim (FIL) has gotten to know the special needs of the children he transports and treats them accordingly. So Im sure if you did decide to have her ride the bus that you could talk to the driver and the transit company and have something arranged. But I dont think you should feel guilty at all.
October 3rd, 2011, 07:33 PM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
I feel I get the best of both worlds. I drop my kids off in the morning so I have the personal relationship with their teachers but they ride the bus home and they enjoy both. In my opinion, if she can handle the bus I would give it a try, the worse that can happen is that she doesn't like it and you end up taking her and picking her up again.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
October 3rd, 2011, 08:51 PM
Thanks ladies! I'm still waiting on info from transportation, so I have no new info but Carrie's gotten even MORE clingy in the last few days. I don't know if this would be helped or hurt by trying to get her to ride the bus (one hand she'd scream before getting on the bus, the other hand she'd be totally fine shortly after it starts moving and should be 00% by the time she gets to school)

(I REALLY like the idea of taking her to school in my car but having her ride the bus home, Thanks Linda!)

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
November 1st, 2011, 09:07 PM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
It was the bus that made Tristan (newly 3) like school and get over his separation anxiety. He's so stinkin' excited to ride it. He says, "Hi, school bus!" Sorry if I already posted this elsewhere.

November 2nd, 2011, 09:47 AM
Thanks It did not go well and she will not be riding it in the future

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...iding-bus.html

November 7th, 2011, 11:02 AM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just read your blog post. I'm so sorry the bus didn't work out for you. It sounds like such a headache. I hope you can figure something out soon. I don't have any advice. My girl's school doesn't have any bus service so we have a 40 minute to 1 hour round trip twice a day. Getting to therapy appointments on time just doesn't happen anymore.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search