Plastic Surgery

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 12th, 2011, 10:26 AM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Cross your fingers for us!

We finally found a dermatologist that is on the same page as me. Carrie has a huge hemangioma on her right arm and we were sent to another dermatologist for it. He wants it removed We've already gotten the referral for the pediatric plastic surgeon. i'm very very excited. other moms are giving me crap cause I'm havnig elective surgery on my 4 year old, but

1. the biggest danger is the anesthesia which she has been under 3 different times fro MRI's with absolutely no complications.

2. kids her age are more truthful than mean and already say awful things about her arm. When she gets just a little bit older and kids are more mean than truthful, she's going to catch a lot of crap about it.

3. her school is an integration school. Unless she is not potty trained she WILL be starting typical kindergarten at this school and the above mentioned mean kids have enough to harass my child about since she walks stiffly and barely speaks. Psychologically this surgery is a need for my sweet (very sensitive) girl.

4. She's going to have to have surgery on it at some point anyway. It's grown so fast that they say that it will leave a skin tag which would have to be surgically removed. If we didn't do the surgery now, we'd have to do it in a couple years (after she's been picked on by her peers).

I can't teach other people's children tolerance, but I can give my little girl every chance at feeling like and being accepted by her peers. I am very excited about the prospective surgery, please keep your fingers crossed for us!

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."

Last edited by C&K'sMama; October 12th, 2011 at 10:29 AM.
October 12th, 2011, 11:19 AM
challowell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't let them get to you. There is complications that be caused by the hemangioma.What I can see on line it is not just cosmetic. It actually can cause health problems.

I took this straight from Wikipedia:
Very rarely, extremely large hemangiomas can cause high-output heart failure due to the amount of blood that must be pumped to excess blood vessels. Lesions adjacent to bone can also cause erosion of the bone.

The most frequent complaints about hemangiomas, however, stem from psychosocial complications: the condition can affect a person's appearance and can provoke attention and malicious reactions from others.
The potential for psychological injury develops from school age onward.
October 12th, 2011, 07:21 PM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by challowell View Post
Don't let them get to you. There is complications that be caused by the hemangioma.What I can see on line it is not just cosmetic. It actually can cause health problems.

I took this straight from Wikipedia:
Very rarely, extremely large hemangiomas can cause high-output heart failure due to the amount of blood that must be pumped to excess blood vessels. Lesions adjacent to bone can also cause erosion of the bone.

The most frequent complaints about hemangiomas, however, stem from psychosocial complications: the condition can affect a person's appearance and can provoke attention and malicious reactions from others.
The potential for psychological injury develops from school age onward.
Thanks! I've never heard of the heart output failure, but Carrie's is large and when it breaks or gets cut it bleeds, it just won't stop. Also the heat that comes off that thing, I can't imagine how much blood is right there under the skin.

the psychological issues are what I'm most afraid of. I really want this gone for her sake.

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
October 13th, 2011, 07:34 AM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
wow, I had no idea on the health issues it can cause! Hoping for a very smooth surgery!!
October 13th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
I hope everything works out and you can get it taken care of before another move!!!

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

October 16th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
ok so I read first thinking a cherry size, or just red but flat. Hers is big, I would have no qualms about removing it either. Sometimes we don't want our kids to stick out any more then they have to. And it is not just for "the mean kids" there are benefits as well. Heart thing like aboe, but you said it bleeds easily. Okay so what happens if she falls, cuts it open and it gets infected?? you are doing the right thing

and to add that there was someone on JM awhile ago who had a little boy. He had a small one on his forehead. I say small in comparison to your sweet babies. She got his removed like at 3 or 4 years old as well. Anyways, what bugged the crap out of me about her was that she photo shopped it off all his pictures! ALL of his pictures! Why??? That is who he is. I don't think she was wrong in removing it either, I think she did what was best for her and him and all that. I would have had it removed as well. BUT to hide it? That bugged me

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search