Non-Reducible/Incarcerated Umbilical Hernia?

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 16th, 2012, 05:49 PM
I'm sure a hernia doesn't really qualify as special needs, but I thought some of you ladies might have experience with this. I'm new to hernias so forgive me if I ask dumb questions.

We just found out yesterday that our 2 year old son has a non-reducible umbilical hernia. He has an ultrasound Monday to see exactly what is going on with it but I wanted to ask you all some questions. (The doc also wanted to make 100% sure it is a hernia.)

Do these always require surgery? I know the reducible ones normally aren't surgically repaired until the child is 5ish, but if what I am understanding is correct from my interrnet research, non-reducibles do need repairing because they can damage the intestine and could possibly become strangulated hernias, correct?

What exactly will they be looking for with the ultrasound?

Any info you all can give me about your experiences with these will be wonderful. Thank you!
February 17th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
I have never had experience with these but this is one thing I found...

Hernia (umbilical or inguinal) - Clinical Health Topics - Children's Hospital Boston

It sounds like the "non-reducible" status is the concern. The intestine could be traumatized, lose blood supply, or cause other problems if it is trapped for certain reasons or under certain conditions. That is what they will check for on the ultrasound. As far as what to look for...I have no idea... I hope this link helps though.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

February 18th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Thanks for your reply & the link.

Apparently non-reducible umbilical hernias don't happen much in children. Read one site that said only 1 in 1500 umbilical hernias in kids are non-reducible. My son's ped has never even personally seen a non-reducible, he said. Guess we'll just have to wait & see what the ultrasound shows. Waiting is the worst!
February 18th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Waiting is definitely the worst. The site said that it is usually outpatient if it does have to be surgically reduced so at least it should be relatively simple. ((((HUGS))))

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

June 3rd, 2012, 11:19 AM
We have had hernia repair surgery. I can't imagine them WAITING if it is non reducible! That can cause permanent damage to the childs intestines to where it cuts the blood flow off if it is not fixed in time. My son had his surgery done and it took about an hour and his incision is only about 1 inch long...not bad at all, and he felt so much better once it was repaired.
June 3rd, 2012, 11:38 PM
Veteran
I had 2 inguinal hernias as a child (at separate times). Rest assured that it is a simple surgery and your son will be fine as long as it is taken care of quickly

June 5th, 2012, 11:03 AM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First of all, Hi and welcome! I'm glad you're here and you are welcome to post here any time. No such thing as a dumb question around here.

My oldest daughter Meagan had hernia surgery as a toddler. She was back to her normal, happy, energetic self within a couple days. I don't remember much of the details because it was so long ago but she doesn't remember it at all and is perfectly healthy now.

Good luck with everything. I hope it all goes smoothly for you and your little one.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search