Log In Sign Up

If you had a choice...


Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
March 9th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Knoxville,Tennessee
Posts: 3,593
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
I have a chance to move to Cincinnati in December (maybe earlier if student teaching can't work around all of Danny's dr appts...) to a 3 br, 1.5 ba, 2 car garage, full finished basement, all hard floors, large yard, etc that I would pay the property taxes, utilities, insurance, and any extras I want and be able to live there with Danny. With Danny's asthma the floors are the best part. The hardest part of my decision and literally the only thing keeping me pretty much glued to the fence is that Danny's allergy asthma doc has been a Godsend... He has followed Danny's allergies and lungs since he was less than a year old and knows Danny inside and out. Danny is on the max of so many meds and most doctors look at me like I am crazy when I tell them he doesn't see a pulmonologist until I tell them our doctor's name...then they get it and are fine because this doc is just that good. If we call overnight with a breathing problem we not only have a protocol but steroids at home and a doctor that knows how bad he gets and how fast he gets that bad. The best part is that Danny is almost always better during the day and sounds completely fine during most of the day as long as we catch things early. Things are always worse at night...a LOT worse. He knows that and takes me at my word and treats Danny accordingly. He has also learned Danny's patterns. Danny has a rescue inhaler at least 2x daily just to keep him at a normal functioning level regularly. So basically if we aren't proactive with his breathing he would wind up in the hospital and on oxygen really fast... My biggest fear with moving is transitioning to a doc that just doesn't understand that. If I call and ask for a steroid script (assuming they won't give us at home steroids off the bat) and they say wait until they can check him in the morning...we will be in the hospital before morning... :/ Would you just do as much proactive communication between the current doc and the new doc before you switch or would you seriously consider /decide not to switch? I am leaning toward moving and switching but I am just petrified that things are going to go horribly wrong... November-February are his worst times during the entire year and we will likely move in December...right in the middle of it thus no room for error...


Sorry this is so long but I am not taking this lightly and wanted to give a lot of background in hopes of informed opinions... TIA!
__________________

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.



Reply With Quote
  #2  
March 10th, 2012, 11:00 AM
challowell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Caldwell, Ohio
Posts: 2,172
I would be proactive and see the new docs a few times before I make the move. If I could afford the housing I would move closer to Columbus and Jamie's eye doctor. The parts holding me back is money and I love her peditrician.
__________________
Thank you peimum for my beautiful siggy.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
March 10th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Knoxville,Tennessee
Posts: 3,593
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
The hard thing is that it is 4 hours from where we are now so "a few visits" means a lot of traveling and insurance won't pay for meet and greets... :/
__________________

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.



Reply With Quote
  #4  
March 12th, 2012, 01:01 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,953
It sounds like this move would be the best thing for you and Danny overall.

If it were me, I'd do whatever I could to prepare ahead of time and then just pray for the best.

Have you talked to Danny's allergy doc about this possibility? Maybe he could refer you to a doctor he would trust. I know traveling back and forth isn't really an option but phone consults should be possible. In fact I would insist on it. With Danny's needs being as complicated as they are I wouldn't trust that things wouldn't get missed if the new docs are just relying on his written medical records. They need to talk with someone who has expirience caring for him. This allergy doc sounds like a great guy and I'd be suprised if he wouldn't agree to do whatever he could to help you make this switch easier.

Good Luck!
__________________






Reply With Quote
  #5  
March 12th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Knoxville,Tennessee
Posts: 3,593
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Danny has an appt with him on April 19th and we plan to discuss it in depth then. I have thought about those things too I am just so afraid that the new doc will get a big head... :/
__________________

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.



Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:46 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0