some input please?

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2012, 06:05 PM
Doralovinmomma's Avatar and hell is just a sauna
Send a message via AIM to Doralovinmomma Send a message via Yahoo to Doralovinmomma
okay i see some women on here with kids who dont gain weight. usually it is due to food allergies and such but maybe someone can help me shed some light. i have a son and daughter. my son has autism(aspergers) and possibly ODD but what ive come to ask about is my daughter. she is 3 years and 4 months. she is the tiniest in her class. she is almost always the opposite of her brother so we have no autism worries or anything like that. her only allergy we know of is coconut. she is not only short but weighs far less than 30 pounds. she is 29.8 with her winter clothes on. with them off shes around 26. true she is a picky eater but i really feel she eats enough for her age yet she gains like no weight. there was a point where she gained5 pounds all at once then slowly lost it. she has been to the endocrinologist and the neurologist and they have said all normal. i can see the shortness running in the family as my MIL and i are both 5 2 and my SIL who is 27 is 4 7 but i have no explanation for her weight. to give you an idea of her size she is almost 3 1/2 and she can fit in some 18 month clothes still

Thank you Niamh for my awesome blinkies!! And Vicki... for my fantastic siggy

March 23rd, 2012, 01:20 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First of all to you. I know how hard it is to feed a reluctant eater and then watch them struggle to gain weight.

What does her regular pediatrician say about this? How is her body mass index? (her weight in proportion to her height) If it were me, I'd want to talk to her pediatritian about checking that out and maybe starting on some calorie suppliments.

It does worry me a little that she gained weight suddenly and then slowly lost it. But it sounds like that's only happened once so far and you've already checked things out so at this point all you can do is keep an eye oh her to see if it happens again. If it does make sure to get her rechecked because they may have missed something.

In the meantime, here are some things that help us:

Flax seed oil - you can hide it in sauces, yougurt, oatmeal, etc.
Avacado - a good healthy fat that most kids love. great on sandwiches and of course guacamole is always a hit.
Whole milk - use it whenever you can for her foods and drinks even if the rest of the family is using reduced fat. You can also occasionally add some half & half and chocolate sauce for a special high calorie treat.
Almond butter - a healthier fat than peanuts
Cheese - kids love cheese on almost anything

There are also nutritional drinks for kids like pediasure and boost kid essentials. These two are pretty easy to find in the grocery store or drug store. There are more options online. Ellie really likes the breeze juices.

Something to keep in mind.... if she's growing at a steady rate even if its slow and is otherwise healthy and developing normaly then you probably have nothing to worry about. Definitely talk to her pediatrician though.
Good luck! KUP

March 23rd, 2012, 08:32 PM
Doralovinmomma's Avatar and hell is just a sauna
Send a message via AIM to Doralovinmomma Send a message via Yahoo to Doralovinmomma
first off thanks for the response

well her pediatrician is worried but since the endocrinologist cleared her he hasnt said anything. i dont know what her bmi is but shes short and small so it can't be much. and besides the one time she gained weight( it was after her tubes were put in because she was kind of off for a few days and not quite as active i think) she hasnt gained weight for years.she was about 24 pounds when she was 1!! so shes only gained 2 pounds in almost 2 1/2 years. normally i dont think about it but lately it just seems like she should be bigger. she doesnt seem sickly or anything and shes quite active on a daily basis so no red flags have been raising but idk it just seems there should be an explanation for this. at least for her weight. like i said short height runs in the family. i like the suggestions. the only one i couldnt do is whole milk. as it is her pedi has restrained her to 9 ozs. of 2% milk a day because as he and other sources have told us more milk contributes to the anemia(she doesnt technically have it right now but its close and she has haqd it before, i am also quite anemic so shes predisposed it seems)

Thank you Niamh for my awesome blinkies!! And Vicki... for my fantastic siggy

April 5th, 2012, 12:26 AM
MommaLexi's Avatar Adoptive and Foster Mommy
Seeing as she doesn't seem to be affected in any way by her "small-ness" I wouldn't worry too terribly much. Her weight isn't really too terribly low, although the 2 1/2lb gain in 2 years does concern me. I would talk to her Dr.'s about calorie supplements. My daughter has had a feeding tube her whole life, and is just now at 2 1/2 ready to get rid of it and be switched to calorie supplements. Like Anna, I focus on feeding healthy fats and healthy high-calorie snacks. Nut spreads are a great source for this, as well as avocados and cheese. These are my staples as she loves both now. Were switching her from whole milk to Pediasure very soon, when her feeding tube is removed. I don't know if that's an option with a milk allergy is present.

Good luck in getting answers and "treatments" in place. Don't hesitate to come back if you have any more questions!

FD ~ Squishy, 8mos old, Down Syndrome, Heart Disease (post open-heart surgery)
April 5th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Have they checked her for exocrine pancreatic insufficiency? It is where your pancreas doesn't make enzymes and then the food can't be digested. She is most likely only missing some enzymes (if that is the problem) and getting at least enough nutrition from what she eats to stay the same weight. I would also suggest using myfitnesspal .com to track what she eats over a week. Sometimes what seems like a lot of calories to us isn't actually that much. Track that and make sure she is getting enough calories. I think it is 100 calories per kilogram of her ideal body weight (50% on the growth chart for her age). Also you can go to

Kids Growth Chart Percentiles Calculator

To find out her height, weight, and height for weight percentile. That will give you the BMI.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

April 9th, 2012, 12:37 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Doralovinmomma, how are things going? Any updates?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search