Wee little kids: Maybe a problem

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Any way my husbadn and I are over weight and our kids are all tiny. I thnk they are all three at 25% height and under 10% weight. It is not from me I am a solid chunk and heavy. My MIL is very light and tall and has a hard time maintaining her weight.

My kids are picky and fickle.

So My oldest Scarlett is picky and prefers junk food. At three is is hard to bribe, bargain and threaten her to eat but it can be done. Wearing 24m/2t to 4t. She looks thin. Was completely formula feed doesn't seem to have any food allergies and tolerated feeding well. Not pukey as a baby at all. She is 18% height and 23% weight.

Beau is 20 months and he is completely in charge of what goes into his mouth and there is not bribe, bargain or anything to change that. He is real soild on eating dairy and I getr frustrated that everything he might eat is all low fat. I just bought some cream to add to his milk and the yogurt I have to make from scratch to get it in full fat for a decent price. Wearing 12m going into 18m to me has has the chunkiest legs and solidest build and is sitting at 3% weight for height. Was BF and bottle fed for 6 months tolerated all formula well and not pukey at all. I just checked and he is 18% height and 3% weight.

Tessa is 6 months and EBF. I just started solids but I am not wanting to replace breastmilk. I am happy with her sleep habits, I nurse at night, she is happy, alert, and she just started crawling/locomoting. She doesn't take a bottle at all. I was pumping BM for her cerial but that stuff was hard to get out and she has made the leap to being able to eat without her tongue pushing the food out. She is wearing 3-6 month and she looks skinny with her leg fat looking like she lost weight loose and wrinkly. I just did her and she is 16% height and 3% weight.

So I was wondering what I could try feeding them to add on some body weight.

Last edited by Happy Song; May 13th, 2012 at 03:02 PM.
May 13th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
I would first chart their growth over time. If they have always been on their own curve it is okay to be at the 3% of even off the charts...as long as they follow their own curve. If their curve has gradually been dropping off I would talk to their ped and ask for a GI referral for the younger two. The oldest sounds find to me (but like I said check her curve) If she is 18% for height and 23% for weight I wouldn't worry about her at all (unless that was a typo since you said they are all under 10% for weight). High calorie foods like cheese and avocado are good. You can also add cream, oil, and butter to foods as often as possible. If they are falling off their curve (especially the EBF baby assuming she is getting enough BM) I would talk to the ped and request a GI referral to make sure there are no underlying GI issues.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

May 14th, 2012, 02:57 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
what Sarah said.

Also there are nutritional drinks for the 2 older ones that you can try if you're really having trouble getting them to eat a balanced diet. Pediasure and boost kid essentials and their store brand versions are pretty easy to find and most kids will drink them.

But like Sarah said, if they're following their own curve, even if they're small then you probably have nothing to worry about. Most toddlers I know are very picky eaters. They usually grow out of it. But it's probably a good idea to bring it up with their pediatrician. If there is something going on then its better to find out early. And if they're fine (which I'm sure they are) then at least you'll get some reassurance.

May 14th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
I think the doctor is going to flip over Tessa because she was 8lbs 7oz when she was born and at six months 2 weeks is weighing 11.6lbs.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search