My diabetic 5 year old

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 24th, 2012, 09:17 PM
LadyOrion's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to LadyOrion Send a message via Yahoo to LadyOrion Send a message via Skype™ to LadyOrion
Hello, I am not new to Justmommies but I am here because, I am in need of some support. My 5 year old daughter was diagnosed with diabetes last year when she was 4. Its still pretty hard and I am now stressing because she is starting kindergarten this next school year. We are still battling her sugars and she has a issue with sneaking food at night when everyone is in bed. I am to the point where I am gonna lock the kitchen up. She doesn't understand that food is like poison to her with out her insulin. Any other moms here with any advise on what I can try?
Mommy of 4 TTC #5

Shelliegh & Vladimir TTC our first together. <3
May 25th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Danny is 100% tube fed due to a ridiculous number of allergies. We got a fridge lock and cabinet locks. The cabinet locks that we have are the magnetic ones.

http://www.amazon.com/Cabinet-Locks-.../dp/B000HKVVH4

Without the handheld piece there is no possible way to open the cabinets.

The fridge lock we had to get a cheap one an it didnt' really work. We had to get it because we are renting though. Otherwise I would have gotten this one.

Refrigerator Locks

I hope this helps!

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

June 1st, 2012, 01:20 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First of all, sorry for my late reply but Hi and welcome to the board.
I'm so sorry you and your daughter are having to deal with this. It must be so scary and frustrating for both of you.

I don't have any expirience with diabetes so I can't offer any specific advice on that but I hope some of Sarah's suggestions will be helpful to you.

The only thing I would suggest is looking for a support group for you and your daughter. Maybe a playgroup type thing would encourage her to be more compliant because she'll see other kids just like her dealing with the same thing.

And I can totally relate to you on stressing over starting kindergarten. My little one just finished kindergarten last week. Overall the year went really well and she loves school. But those first few months were really hard. I was worried all the time and checked in on her at least 3 times a day. (I know I'm a little nuts. ) But we were blessed with a great support team and all my worrying was really unnecessary. By November we were both much more relaxed.
Hopefully you'll also have a great team and it won't take you or your daughter as long to adjust. I'd be suprised if the school hasn't had students with diabetes before. They should be able to handle it just fine. And maybe the routine will be helpful to her. Good luck to both of you.

I'm Anna btw.... Mamma to 4 girls. Meg (16) Abbey (13) Kayla (9) and Ellie (6)
Ellie has multiple special needs including cerebral palsy, chronic lung disease and severe anxiety.

I hope you'll stick around if you want or need to. We're a small but supportive bunch and we'd love to get to know you better.

August 14th, 2012, 06:17 PM
LadyOrion's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to LadyOrion Send a message via Yahoo to LadyOrion Send a message via Skype™ to LadyOrion
Thanks for all your replies ladies. I have since started a type 1 diabetes group on here. Hope it works out.
Mommy of 4 TTC #5

Shelliegh & Vladimir TTC our first together. <3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search