Reelgirls critiques autism commercial

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 2nd, 2012, 01:36 PM
Veteran
An organization called reel girls speaks out against injustice including sexism, racism, and abelism. They encourage girls to get into technology fields by making videos to speak out against these injustices.

Recently they ran a camp called Dis this which speaks out against abelism and educated the youth on disabilities.
Here they critique an Autism Speaks commercial.

Disability Advocacy - YouTube

They do have a warning on the video that the content of the commercial may upset some people. I'm curious for opinions on it.
June 4th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
That commercial is completely false and gives a horrible face to a community of people that are as diverse as the general population of the world. That just makes me sick...

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

June 5th, 2012, 11:44 AM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have mixed feelings about this.
I think the autism commercial they were commenting on was harsh and did seem to paint all kids with autism with a broad brush in a very negative way. It definitely bothered me. However, I don't think it was ever intended for a youth audience. As harsh as it was, it did speak to the realities that many families dealing with autism face.
And I think the girls response to it, however well intentioned, was also painting with a broad brush. They seemed to imply that having autism (or any disability) is no big deal and that nothing in the video was true. Everything I saw in the video was something that I know is true for some families. For the girls to imply that those statements are entirely false, I think, contributes just as much to the misunderstandings about autism as the original video does.
Living with a disability is not easy and if we want people to be understanding and compassionate then I think we need to be honest about all of it. The joys and the challenges. The similarities and the differences.

Just my

July 4th, 2012, 07:21 PM
TreeTog's Avatar Love is in the Air!
The video doesn't bother me. My 4.5yo has Autism and it is not a happy picture on some days. This video is not perfect, but it gets some points across.

Leslie

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search