GTKY: Summer Heat!!

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2012, 02:48 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How do your little ones do in this heat? Does the temprature effect their special needs at all? Do you have to take extra precautions?

What's their favorite way to cool off? Do they enjoy playing in the water?

What about you? Do you enjoy the heat? How do you stay cool?

July 8th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Veteran
How do your little ones do in this heat? They do okay, but unless were in the water, outside time has to be short.
Does the temperature effect their special needs at all? It does. It seems to suck the life out of them, as well as affecting their breathing.
Do you have to take extra precautions? We do. We always have inhalers, and always have a breathing machine in the car. We keep lots of cold water available. We don't go out on even moderately poor air quality days, and don't go out past 95 degrees.

What's their favorite way to cool off? Definitely the pool followed closely by ice cream or popcicles.
Do they enjoy playing in the water? Love it!

What about you? Sucks the life out of me, makes me need a nap! I get hot very fast and it seems to affect my blood pressure!
Do you enjoy the heat? Hate it!
How do you stay cool? Cold water and cold soda (bad, I know, but it FEELS good!). I keep ice packs with us when out, wear my hair up or braided, and try to stay in the shade!

July 18th, 2012, 11:38 AM
challowell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How do your little ones do in this heat? Jamie hates the heat. She can't stand to be hot at all. We have been putting her in sundresses every day to keep her from getting too hot.

Does the temprature effect their special needs at all? No.

Do you have to take extra precautions? No

What's their favorite way to cool off?They like playing in the wading pool
Do they enjoy playing in the water?Yes.

What about you? Do you enjoy the heat?I like the hot days. I am a very outdoorsy person. (Outdoorsy counts as a word in my neck of the wooods. LOL)

How do you stay cool? I keep cool by making snowcones for the kids.
July 28th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
Ava has dysautanomia and doesn't handle heat well. We use cooling vests when needed. Her breathing gets worse as well, which requires increased oxygen.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
July 30th, 2012, 02:27 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hope!! Hi!! It's good to see you.

How do your little ones do in this heat? Does the temprature effect their special needs at all? Do you have to take extra precautions? In general Ellie does better in the heat than she does in cold weather but she doesn't handle sudden extreme temperature changes well at all. We have to be very careful about going from the heat outside to an over air conditioned building or vice versa. And just jumping into cold water is completely out of the question. We have to wet her down a little first and take it really slow. If we're not careful about these things her muscles will spasm and she'll have trouble breathing.

What's their favorite way to cool off? Do they enjoy playing in the water? She just started swim lessons this year and she LOVES it. She's a little fish in the water. Her other favorite way to cool off is of course ice cream.

What about you? Do you enjoy the heat? How do you stay cool? I do love the heat. To a point. Tripple digits plus humidity is not my favorite thing. But I'll take 90 and sunny over 35 and raining any day. I'm also a big fan of swimming and ice cream.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search