Diets for kids with Autism

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pinkpopsicles

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 2nd, 2012, 09:27 AM
pinkpopsicles's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi all!
I haven't posted here before--actually didn't notice this forum until this morning! Glad I found it though.
Here's the situation--my 6 yr old DS has Autism and ADHD both very mild but clinically significant nonetheless. Since he was a baby he's had gut issues--by that I mean loose smelly stools. Since he was diagnosed at 2.5 yrs we've tried the casein/gluten free diet a couple of times and didn't notice any real difference. I'm still on the hunt though since something just doesn't seem quite right with his digestion. No pain, no allergic-type reactions, some gas, but not real bad. Possibly some reflux?
Anyway, has anyone had any success with any other food elimination diets? Probiotics? Vitamin supplements?
We're going to go to the doctor on friday and I'm anticipating she's going to trial him on some reflux meds which bothers me as since he's only 6 I have this gut feeling there's something more to this poor digestion than meets the eye.
Thanks for any help!
Happy Song likes this.

November 12th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Super Mommy
Hi there, I see you posted this awhile ago, hopefully you'll check back.

Anyways, I wanted to ask how long you tried the gluten/casein free diet for? It can take a few months to start to see any difference at all. Gluten alone can stay in your bloodstream for as long as 6 months after completely eliminating it from the diet.

To me it really sounds like this is could be the issue. I've had my autistic son on this diet for close to 6 months now and the difference is phenomenal. If you tried the diet for 6 months or more and didn't see a difference then that is likely not the issue. However, if you tried it for just a matter of weeks or even just a couple of months that may not have been long enough.

Let us know how you're doing!
November 20th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I was just passing though and saw this post.

I would suggest asking for a IgG blood test. Not all kids have the same allergies.

If you have questions, feel free to PM me.

As for the gut issue. We healed my son's "leaky" gut and it has made a world of a difference with him along side of removing his delayed food allergies.

ALCAT - Food Allergy / Intolerance, Chemical & Gluten Sensitivity Testing, IgG & Casein Test, Chronic Fatigue, Arthritis, Asthma, Diarrhea & Obesity Treatment

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; November 20th, 2012 at 04:51 PM.
November 23rd, 2012, 10:33 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
My son has been casine free for 5 months. We noticed a huge difference with his bowels. He has been glutine free for maybe 3 months. The difference is not as noticible. He did get cheese and bread on Thanksgiving and we noticed the difference.

We have had him allergy tested and they said no alleries.

November 24th, 2012, 06:44 AM
pinkpopsicles's Avatar Super Mommy
Hmmm. Well, we only did three months--I thought that was the length of time you were supposed to do the gf/cf diet for to see if it worked. He had a full panel of food allergy testing when he was around 3 yrs old because he was sporting some hives (delayed reaction to something). Nothing showed up and the hives never returned so we just kind of dropped the issue.
I wonder if it would be worth a retest...
Had his doctors appointment and the doctor didn't actually do anything, she just referred us to pediatric allergy and we're still waiting on our appointment!

November 24th, 2012, 07:22 AM
TreeTog's Avatar Love is in the Air!
My eldest son was tested via prick at 15 months and via blood at 2.5yo and nothing. He was re-tested via prick at 4.5yo and allergies came up to milk, cat, and seasonal allergies. My son has been cow's milk free since he was 15 months old.

Leslie

February 1st, 2013, 11:24 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpopsicles View Post
Hmmm. Well, we only did three months--I thought that was the length of time you were supposed to do the gf/cf diet for to see if it worked. He had a full panel of food allergy testing when he was around 3 yrs old because he was sporting some hives (delayed reaction to something). Nothing showed up and the hives never returned so we just kind of dropped the issue.
I wonder if it would be worth a retest...
Had his doctors appointment and the doctor didn't actually do anything, she just referred us to pediatric allergy and we're still waiting on our appointment!

The ALCAT test is different kind of test, it's not like the ones you do at a typical doctors office. The one you discribed is a IgE test, the one we did was a IgG test. The ALCAT done on a cellular level. It's costly and most insurances don't cover it but the company does work with you. They cut a couple of hundred dollars from our bill..

Here' a video to explain what the results will look like.

Alcat testing for food and inflammation - YouTube

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; February 1st, 2013 at 11:36 AM.
March 31st, 2013, 07:46 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we had success with GFCF, probiotics, and chelation therapy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search