TTC knowing you could pass on a genetic disorder

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Anyone here deal with a genetic disorder in one of their children, and then agonize over whether to TTC another?
I have three children. My second child (oldest son) has a genetic neurological disorder that causes movement issues. He is mentally normally functioning, plays, has friends, likes to sign up for swimming, soccer, etc...
But, he will never be able to keep up with his friends. He wears AFOs on his legs right now, and most likely always will need them. He has primary dystonia, though we don't know which type. We also do not know whether this is something that we passed on to him (and we just never had any symptom manifestation), or whether it was spontaneous mutation.

SO.... We've decided we're ready to TTC our last one, and that will make it four. In the back of my mind, however, I feel guilty, knowing that there's a possibility this child could have what DS has.

I don't and won't know what's in store for DS and his disability until many many years from now. His progression may plateau and he may live life with just a mild, inconvenient disability. Or... his progression may keep going and going, and he could live life with a very difficult disability.

Sigh.
August 2nd, 2013, 11:40 AM
Britt3's Avatar Super Mommy
I completely understand what you are going through. My son has 4 different disorders and I'm going to be TTC (#2 for me) with my SO soon. My SO isn't my son's father, but I'm still completely scared that we will have a child with the same disorders. It has scared me to the point that I'm not sure I want to TTC or have anymore. But, I also can't live in fear, and I know the odds are in our favor that we/I won't pass it on (again). I don't really have a good answer for you.. .only saying that I feel your pain.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search