MRI Wednesday

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 1st, 2006, 07:43 PM
*Lindsay*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well geez, our day SUCKED!!!!!! I will try to be brief, so bear with me please.

We got to the hospital on time at 11:30 and admitted her. They got her back right away. The doctor wanted to do anesthesia through and IV this time. Last time she had an MRI she just had oral sedation. But, the geneticist wanted labs too, so they were going to do them both at the same time to avoud numerous sticks.

Remember, Sydney had to stop nursing at 7:30 that morning and she had a small amound of Pedialyte at 9:15-but that was it!

So the first nurse tries to get her and can't. So, they call the IV team. We told them she tends to be a hard stick. The IV came down and tried 4 more times! Yup-you read that right. I finally said ENOUGH-stop doing this to my baby. I was crying, she was screaming, and Nick was pissed off! They couldn't get a vein because she hadn't eaten. At this point it was 2:30. So, then they decided to do the oral medication that she had last time. They wanted to avoid that becuase with the IV the effects aren't as long lasting.

So, they gave her the choloryl hydrate, but she wouldn't fall asleep! So, they gave her more! It took her about an hour and a half to fall asleep. By this time it was 4:15. The average time it takes someonw to fall asleep is 30 minutes. She fought it hard core. I was just praying and praying that she would fall asleep so we could get it over with and get out of that place.

There was very little compassion for the fact that my baby hadn't eaten in so long. The nurses were talking about what this person and that person were doing, and he said she said. Meanwhile Sydney is screaming her head off! The doctor was in the room with us when we were trying to get her to fall asleep, and she fell asleep. Yes, it was dark and a sound machine was going, but still! She just wanted to go home. Nick was about to jump out of his skin.

Finally we get her back into recovery and I thought it would be so hard to wake her (last time with that med it took over an hour) but this time she woke right up and started nursing. But, only for like 2 minutes. Once they saw her nursing they were getting everything ready to release us. The doctor came in with her backpack on and her keys in her hand..... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! But, even though they were letting us go, I knew they shouldn't have. I kept telling the nurse, well, what if I can't get her to eat? By this time it was 5:00 and she hadn't had any wet diapers all day!

The nurse wouldn't hear me. She listened and was kind, but didn't hear me, kwim? At this point Sydney was so knocked out the only thing she was doing was breathing!

But, we went to go see the geneticist who was waiting to see us upstairs. She took one look at how Sydney was and said we needed to go to the ER! I told her my concerns with her not eating or peeing and how could I wake her up?

Well, she walked us to the ER herself which got us right in STAT and within seconds there were 5 people in there with her. They had to get labs and an IV in, so she got poked 4 more times. So, a total of 9 sticks, and painful ones at that! My poor baby!

From there they were great. The ER staff was caring, sensitive, and super understanding. She got a lot of fluid which made us feel so much better. She finally started waking up and nursed a little bit. We got released and sent home around 10:00. It was an exhausting 11 hour day at the hospital.

We got home, put her to bed and she slept until 8:00. I told Nick I wanted him to wait to go to work until we knew she was eating, and to see what our ped said. The ER doctor told us to check in with her.

Well, once she got up, her normal loud breathing was increased tenfold! So, we took her to the ped. She ended up being fine, it was a side effect of the chloryl hydrate. She will NEVER EVER EVER have that again.

Needless to say, it was a miserable day. We are still exhausted. She is doing fine now, but still groggy. The gave her way to much of that medicine.

I napped with her earlier and am still wiped out. At least this is over now. Now, we need to know the results! SIGH!

Sorry this is sooooo long. I tried to make it as brief as I could but still telling you what happened.
December 2nd, 2006, 04:29 AM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
(((((((((((((((((Sydney, Lindsey & Nick)))))))))))))))))))) I"m glad it's over, but the way you all were treated is so wrong on so many levels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let us know what the results show.

</div>
December 2nd, 2006, 06:41 AM
Quote:
(((((((((((((((((Sydney, Lindsey & Nick)))))))))))))))))))) I"m glad it's over, but the way you all were treated is so wrong on so many levels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let us know what the results show.[/b]
Our first expereince at CHKD wasn't like that at all. Does Anika need anything like that done? I am sure it was a fluke, I hope I didn't scare you!
December 2nd, 2006, 08:53 AM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
Our first expereince at CHKD wasn't like that at all. Does Anika need anything like that done? I am sure it was a fluke, I hope I didn't scare you!
[/b]
Oh man, I'm much slower than I thought I was this morning, I didn't realize you were at CHKD! I'm really suprised you had that experience there, in the 4 short months that we've been here we've already had numerouse tests done in radiology there (MRI, multiple x-rays and CT), and they have always been very nice and curteous with us. We were always seen early in the morning because of the NPO thing and everything! ((((hugs))))

</div>
December 2nd, 2006, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
Oh man, I'm much slower than I thought I was this morning, I didn't realize you were at CHKD! I'm really suprised you had that experience there, in the 4 short months that we've been here we've already had numerouse tests done in radiology there (MRI, multiple x-rays and CT), and they have always been very nice and curteous with us. We were always seen early in the morning because of the NPO thing and everything! ((((hugs))))
[/b]

yeah, we have always had great experiences there too, until this. oh well. i think it was a fluke. the next time she needs an mri, it will be first thing in the morning.
December 3rd, 2006, 09:56 AM
JuneBug2006's Avatar Forever missing Gracie
Oh that is horrible I hope our experience is nicer. Poor little girl, I could not imagine.
*hugs*.

I have been so scared about Gracie having to get an MRI/CT; we are waiting until she is over a year old because I am not comfortable with having her put under, she is only 5 months old right now...
January 1st, 2007, 09:51 PM
m.and.a
Ugh, I haven't come close to anything like this. I only started getting to go to some of her procedures once she was kicked out of the NICU into the PICU. I did get really pissed at a Dr once who was trying to shove tubing into Aleah's mucous fistula. She had an ostomy at the time, only it wasn't a normal one due to her complicated surgical history and the emergency procedure, and.... well, lots of stuff. I told him it was closed and nothing had EVER EVER leaked out of it. That didn't stop him from trying to stick something IN IT.... which made it bleed, of course, because it's intestine on the outside of her body. That was the closest I ever got to hitting a Dr.

We've been fortunate since then and I hope I never have to endure such a day.
January 3rd, 2007, 07:31 AM
Quote:
That was the closest I ever got to hitting a Dr.[/b]
I think I would have as well! WOW! So sorry that happened!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search