Orthopedic Shoes

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 6th, 2006, 07:03 PM
kittycat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm looking for some new options for my DS in footware. He has SMOs, so we need specialty shoes that are deep. If your child wears orthopedic shoes to allow room for SMO/AFO/etc, could you please tell me the brand? As well as your general feeling on them.

Thanks.

December 9th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Evvy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thomas has worn sure steps and another tyupe of SMOs. I just got shoes at Payless or the like. Our orthotist said it's the SMO (or AFO) that gives all the support, the shoe is just to protect the orthotic from getting dirty, worn down. Payless does make wide widths. I have also gotten New Balance sneakers, they fit over teh sure steps quite well and come in many widths, but are a bit pricier.

I need to get Thomas fitted for new SMOs his are too small and he's without them right now

December 10th, 2006, 12:48 PM
I can't get anything on over DSs SMOs, except the special tennies that I get at the orthatist. I went to a big children's shoe store after getting the SMOs, and they even carried some Double Wide (WW) shoes by stride rite, no luck. I can get them on, I just can't tie or velcro them. School wants velcro too, so that's another obstacle.

December 10th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Hmm, yeah velcro I don't think would work... I would maybe try New Balance- not sure if there is a actual NB store where you live, but they were super helpful to me (they were the 1st shoes I got when T. first got his SMOs) THey come in an absurd amount of widths (may have to special order). But they tie- can the preschool make an exception given the special shoes? I WISH velcro would work

Hmm, yeah velcro I don't think would work... I would maybe try New Balance- not sure if there is a actual NB store where you live, but they were super helpful to me (they were the 1st shoes I got when T. first got his SMOs) THey come in an absurd amount of widths (may have to special order). But they tie- can the preschool make an exception given the special shoes? I WISH velcro would work

December 10th, 2006, 06:40 PM
No exceptions. DS is going to be starting Early Intervention/Childhood Preschool for kids with delays and disabilities. Unless the child can demonstrate that they're able to tie their shoes unassisted, then we have to use velcro, zipper, elastic or bungie cord (some of the new shoes are like this now) styled shoes. I can understand the rule, there are 8 classes of special needs kids, and I'm sure with all that going on, the last thing they need to worry about is kids tripping over shoes strings.

I will call the NB store and see what they have available. I know there's a location in the next town over.

December 11th, 2006, 08:53 AM
You could switch out the laces with some bungee type ones- remember those that were all the rage about 10 years ago- kind of squiggly at the end? ANyhow, I suppose you cna rig something up. Hope the NB store can help, as I said the one I used was REALLY helpful, though the shoes did have to be special ordered.

Plus NB are cool for your styling little guy B)

December 11th, 2006, 08:59 AM
I dug up some pics from when T. had NB with his smos- theyh are a couple years old, lol:

His shoes:
WIth the sneakers over:

December 12th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Wow, those look great.

Also the bungie straps I'm talking about look like this:
http://www.piperlime.com/browse/product.do...;scid=490437002

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search