How do you explain

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 28th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Mom2brodyanddani
How do you explain your child's condition(s) briefly to friends, family, etc so that they understand and aren't confused by medical terms?

I explain her CP by just saying CP because most people have some idea of what that means, and say it causes her to have very tight muscles in her legs and very loose muscles in her torso. Her PVL is a brain injury from head bleeds and we don't know what kind of mental disabilities she may have, or if CP will be the only side effect. Hearing loss is the easiest because people understand that she can't hear and that we are trying hearing aids to improve it.
December 29th, 2006, 04:58 PM
trisha4005's Avatar Veteran
Well, for my daughter we were told in the beginning it was CP. So I explained that she had a brain injury from something, possibly RSV or a metabolic disorder. For some reason summing it up to "brain Injury" helped them to understand. I think most people have seen enough television shows to know that if the brain is damaged somehow, there are going to be developmental and functional disorders.
Patricia

Quote:
How do you explain your child's condition(s) briefly to friends, family, etc so that they understand and aren't confused by medical terms?

I explain her CP by just saying CP because most people have some idea of what that means, and say it causes her to have very tight muscles in her legs and very loose muscles in her torso. Her PVL is a brain injury from head bleeds and we don't know what kind of mental disabilities she may have, or if CP will be the only side effect. Hearing loss is the easiest because people understand that she can't hear and that we are trying hearing aids to improve it.[/b]

Amaris' Photoshow

December 30th, 2006, 07:45 PM
JuneBug2006's Avatar Forever missing Gracie
I haven't reallly discussed it with many. When I do tell about Gracie's condition, they look at me dumbfounded....

Last week at Gracie's ultrasound, the tech didn't even believe me and told me I should have our blood re-tested.... UGH
December 31st, 2006, 09:44 PM
m.and.a
I spend a lot of time explaining that my girls are twins, and identical twins. They don't look anything alike. Ada is double the size of Aleah. I'm more than happy to explain what/why she is trached. Her cousin wanted to know why I was "vacuuming her neck" last week. I get really bummed when people offer me their "condolences". I never know what to say, but usually I tell them that their condolences aren't necessary and that we are very happy that Aleah is such a fighter, and a survivor. I can understand to an extent because before I had a special needs child, I pitied parents who had them. Now, it's just a fact of our life.
January 1st, 2007, 04:53 PM
*Lindsay*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Her cousin wanted to know why I was "vacuuming her neck" last week. I get really bummed when people offer me their "condolences". I never know what to say, but usually I tell them that their condolences aren't necessary and that we are very happy that Aleah is such a fighter, and a survivor. I can understand to an extent because before I had a special needs child, I pitied parents who had them. Now, it's just a fact of our life.[/b]

What a cute way of questioning the trach! That is sweet. I am sure I will get questions from my nephew and neices later on. Right now my nephew thinks it is neat that he and Sydney both wear glasses!

AMEN to your last 2 sentences!
January 1st, 2007, 07:14 PM
Veteran
Cade looks like a typically developing child at this point. The main thing I used to get comments on were his eyes because before he had surgery they were always crossed. Now I only seem to get comments - or maybe even looks - from people who know. I don't mean people who know him but people who either have experience with special needs or some kind of connection.

The two that stick in my mind is a complete stranger at walmart who asked my DH if Cade had nystagmus and then a sales associate at Limited Too when we were in there one day while my DD tried on clothes. I noticed that she kept looking at Cade and finally we ended up talking to her only to find out that her nephew has similar issues as Cade. It isn't really until you spend time with him now that you can tell he has something special going on.

Jenn

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search